Plz tell me about the Air Norton S

• 8 Replies

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
Plz tell me about the Air Norton S
« on: June 28, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »
Hello !

I wish to know how similar is the single sized version compared to the regular one!

I love the regular air norton on the neck.

I have an HS axe.... i don't want to drill the single hole... so i was wondering about air norton s if i might get  similar sounds

Thanks for your help !
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:28:46 AM by TheWarrior »

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Re: Plz tell me about the Air Norton S
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:55:13 AM »
I have been curious about that one as well.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 12:30:38 AM »
Being as I don’t care for the AN in the neck position, it’s been my experience that the EQ curve of the S sounded very true to the full-sized version, all things considered. I haven’t tried the S in bridge position to compare to its big brother.

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »
Thanks  :D

Other opinions please?

BluesJam

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 11:35:16 AM »
I’m not into the blade style pickups.  I’ve used the HS3,HS4 and FS1.  DiMarzio FS1 is pretty quiet in my guitar.  The hum is tame and not overwhelming.  I prefer the vintage compensated alnico pole magnet configuration

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
I’m not into the blade style pickups.  I’ve used the HS3,HS4 and FS1.  DiMarzio FS1 is pretty quiet in my guitar.  The hum is tame and not overwhelming.  I prefer the vintage compensated alnico pole magnet configuration

Same here but since I don't want to route the axe and I wish the air Norton as pickup I want to gather information  in order to understand  how similar is the rail version

BluesJam

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »
DiMarzio specs their tonality to be similar.   From what I’ve seen it has humbucker like tonality and tight lows.  If I got a blade pickup, it would be the Chopper.  There are a lot of sales on line, so you can get something with a big discount
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:05:13 PM by BluesJam »

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »
It is probably the closest single coil sized humbucker to it's full sized counterpart.

I have an air Norton in my rg520qs and an ANs in my rg3xxv (HS config like yours)

The ANs is about the same output as the AN.

The ANs is a bit brighter and tighter, but still not what I would call a bright pickup.  More warm but clear. 

I have only used it in this guitar and love it. It may be to warm/ muddy for a 22fret neck position.  24 feet is great.

Since I like the Norton in the bridge, I wouldn't hesitate to use it there too.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 11:25:52 PM »
It's actually a great neck pickup. I used it in a 27 fret Caparison Horus before and it's got a lot of the characteristics of the full sized humbucker. Weirdly enough I do like it a tad better than the full sized humbucker as it has a bit less fat and a bit more on the top.

Although it might have been the position where it was placed because the neck pickup on the Horus is somewhere between where the neck and middle pickup would be on most guitars.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter