DiMarzio Releases Rainmaker and Dreamcatcher Pickups

• 32 Replies

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« on: June 24, 2019, 05:26:32 PM »
the email from DiMarzio is as follows:

DiMarzio, Inc. announces the release of Rainmaker™ Neck (DP281), Rainmaker 7™ Neck (DP723), Dreamcatcher™ Bridge (DP282F), and Dreamcatcher 7™ Bridge (DP724) pickups for 6- and 7-string electric guitars. The Rainmaker™ Neck and Dreamcatcher™ Bridge were developed for John Petrucci of Dream Theater.

John says the new Rainmaker™ and Dreamcatcher™ neck and bridge pickups are “the quintessential tone-monsters we’ve been working on together since our very first collaboration, and the end result is absolutely mind-blowing.

“From the moment I plugged in the guitar and played the first note, I knew that we achieved Holy Grail-level results. With these pickups, the Majesty’s inherent tonal complexities and beauty are brought out in a way that gives the guitar an expressive, intense, fearless, creamy, gorgeous, pure, unobstructed, and addictively powerful voice. It literally feels like the guitar is alive and ready to jump out of my hands!”

Although designed specifically for John’s neck-through signature Ernie Ball Music Man Majesty guitar, the basic performance shows the overall direction John said he wants to follow in pursuit of his personal sound. These pickups have an increased sensitivity to pick attack and more dynamic range overall.

The Rainmaker™ Neck and Rainmaker 7™ Neck have an interesting blend of both warmer highs and more open mids to blend classic and modern approaches to the neck pickup. The Rainmaker™ Neck (for 6-string guitars) is available in standard spacing only.

The Dreamcatcher™ Bridge and Dreamcatcher 7™ Bridge focus more power on the low mids to allow the bridge position to cut through the mix without brittle highs or muddy lows. The Dreamcatcher™ Bridge (for 6-sting guitars) is available in F-spacing only.

John claims, “These pickups are truly inspirational, and I look forward to hearing them roar on stage, and in the studio night after night!”

DiMarzio’s Rainmaker™ Neck, Rainmaker 7™ Neck, Dreamcatcher™ Bridge, and Dreamcatcher 7™ Bridge are made in the U.S.A. and may now be ordered for immediate delivery. Suggested List Price for the Rainmaker™ Neck and Dreamcatcher™ Bridge is $129.99 (MAP $89.99). Suggested List Price for the Rainmaker 7™ Neck and Dreamcatcher 7™ Bridge is $139.99 (MAP $99.99). For more information about the new Rainmaker™ Neck and Dreamcatcher™ Bridge pickups, please visit our website at www.dimarzio.com.
Rainmaker™ Neck DP281 • U.S. List Price $129.99

Recommended For: Neck position in solid and semi-solid guitars. Can also be used in the bridge position

TECH TALK:
Although it may seem odd, John Petrucci has recently requested more of a blues-based tone without sacrificing his signature Dream Theater sound. The Rainmaker™ Neck achieves this with a broader EQ than John’s other models, with open mids and a bit less output. The result is a sweet overdriven sound that can clean up when the volume is rolled down, and remains solid and articulate with high gain.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Wiring: 4-conductor
Magnet: Ceramic
Output: 275mV / Treble: 5.0 / Middle: 6.0 / Bass: 6.0
DC resistance: 11.62 Kohms
Patent Number: 4,501,185 & 5,908,998
Year of introduction: 2019

Dreamcatcher™ Bridge DP282 • U.S. List Price $129.99

Recommended For: Bridge position in solid body guitars

TECH TALK:
The Dreamcatcher™ Bridge is a heavyweight pickup that’s also light on its feet. It has power but is not ultra-high output. The power is concentrated on the low mids, and there is a small scoop in the upper mids to keep the overall sound both warm and defined. The split sound is both full and very focused for the middle position neck and bridge split combination that John Petrucci is known for.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Output: 370mV / Treble: 4.5 / Middle: 8.0 / Bass: 6.5
DC resistance: 14.4 Kohms
Patent Number: 5,908,998

Rainmaker 7™ Neck DP723 • U.S. List Price $139.99

Recommended For: Neck position in solid and semi-solid guitars. Can also be used in the bridge position

TECH TALK:
Although it may seem odd, John Petrucci has recently requested more of a blues-based tone without sacrificing his signature Dream Theater sound. The Rainmaker 7™ Neck achieves this with a broader EQ than John’s other models, with open mids and a bit less output. The result is a sweet overdriven sound that can clean up when the volume is rolled down, and remains solid and articulate with high gain.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Output: 275mV / Treble: 5.0 / Middle: 6.0 / Bass: 6.0
DC resistance: 11.53 Kohms
Patent Number: 4,501,185 & 5,908,998

Dreamcatcher 7™ Bridge DP724 • U.S. List Price $139.99

Recommended For: Bridge position in solid body guitars

TECH TALK:
The Dreamcatcher™ Bridge is a heavyweight pickup that’s also light on its feet. It has power, but is not ultra-high output. The power is concentrated on the low mids, and there is a small scoop in the upper mids to keep the overall sound both warm and defined. The split sound is both full and very focused for the middle position neck and bridge split combination that John Petrucci is known for.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Output: 370mV / Treble: 4.5 / Middle: 8.0 / Bass: 6.5
DC resistance: 12.62 Kohms
Patent Number: 5,908,998
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
Re: DiMarzio Releases Rainmaker and Dreamcatcher Pickups
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »

yes, those are all different photos from DiMarzio.   LOL!

BluesJam

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:39:27 PM »
Wow, DiMarzio got patent numbers already.  These models were probably made a few years ago.  The patent office is very slow.   Congratulations on the Patents, they are very difficult to get.  Ceramic magnets are a surprise for a vintagey blues tone.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 01:48:30 AM »
Thanks for posting Darth. I was just about to make a post with the press release but it looks like you got to it before me!

I gotta see if I can get a sample for testing.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:26 AM »
Thanks for posting Darth. I was just about to make a post with the press release but it looks like you got to it before me!

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »

If you can get your hands on a set I'd be really curious how the Rainmaker does as a bridge pickup

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »

If you can get your hands on a set I'd be really curious how the Rainmaker does as a bridge pickup

I'd like to, as I'm a fan of the CL/LF set and an even bigger fan of the Illuminator set.  the Sonic Ecstasy set is priced to high to make it worth the effort.  lol!

when it comes to DiMarzio, it's been easier to find something pre-owned on Reverb or eBay... which might be a while.

a contemporary recently told me that when he was dealing with Larry and Steve that he had no issues getting access to product for promotional purposes.  things have changed in the past few years.  haha!

however... I appreciate the support and I will continue to do the best I can with the DiMarzio products.   :)

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
Just watched a few vids of these pickups.  Wow, they sounded incredible.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »
Just watched a few vids of these pickups.  Wow, they sounded incredible.

How many different amps and amp settings were used?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:21:46 PM by DarthPhineas »

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »
I really didn’t notice. One was a short video...a couple of minutes long and another was one of Petrucci playing.

https://youtu.be/DJ9yZ1OOiPg

https://youtu.be/Y-5aH7KdiQA

Offline sveto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »
Wow, DiMarzio got patent numbers already.

Nah, those are just the patent numbers for the Virtual Vintage (5,908,998) and Dual Resonance tech (4,501,185), if i remember correctly.

Offline Blix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 08:22:45 AM »
I really didn’t notice. One was a short video...a couple of minutes long and another was one of Petrucci playing.

That first video is me! :)  Figured it was worth throwing something quick together as there was no info anywhere. At the time I recorded it I didn't know anything about it specs.
I assumed ceramic though, based on his previous pickups.

Sounds just killer, just ordered another one for my Jem Jr. Going to order a Rainmaker soon too.

NB: The Dreamcather is taller than the Tone Zone it replaced, so in this guitar with direct-mounted pickups I had to mount it without any foam or anything under it to get it low enough.
The Rainmaker is the same height as the TZ, I emailed them and asked.

BluesJam

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 08:50:32 AM »
But obviously the 6 and 7 string versions are going to sound different due to coil size, wire/winds, that make up the coil.  By the specs, it appears that the 6 string versions have more resistance on the coil.

The 6 string video does have great clarity and punch.  It does clean up well.  Probably one of the best humbuckers DiMarzio has made in a while.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:06:47 AM by BluesJam »

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 08:55:21 AM »

That first video is me! :)  Figured it was worth throwing something quick together as there was no info anywhere. At the time I recorded it I didn't know anything about it specs.

Sounds just killer, just ordered another one for my Jem Jr. Going to order a Rainmaker soon too.

NB: The Dreamcather is taller than the Tone Zone it replaced, so in this guitar with direct-mounted pickups I had to mount it without any foam or anything under it to get it low enough.
Your vid sounded great!
It was the first one I watched. It sounded so full and clear. Great job!

Talk to me about what the rest of your rig looked like.
I’m thinking of putting one of these in my LP Std. Played through a Quickrod.

Offline Blix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »

Your vid sounded great!
It was the first one I watched. It sounded so full and clear. Great job!

Talk to me about what the rest of your rig looked like.
I’m thinking of putting one of these in my LP Std. Played through a Quickrod.

Yeah full and clear describes it well. The TZ was more full and muddy in comaprison.

Rig was simple, Helix running a Friedman model, with some stereo delay. Ownhammer IR I think :)