Larry DiMarzio

• 23 Replies

BluesJam

Re: Larry DiMarzio
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 11:10:53 PM »
Thanks Raven.... cool insight!  I enjoy your stories.  I look forward to your comments.  TY.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »
Very cool to hear from someone that was on the inside.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

BluesJam

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »
Now, let’s hear some Larry DiMarzio stories!!!

Offline yanyan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 05:21:15 AM »
I read that Bill Lawrence taught Larry DiMarzio and Kent Armstrong how to make pickups under his tutelage.  It seems that the Super Distortion, Dual Sound, PAF, FS1 were created by Larry. 

That’s correct. But Steve was in the picture when him and Larry started the company in their basement.  Larry’s dad was the one that actually started the company, and used to be at the shop a lot until he passed away. Larry’s daughter is the current CEO.

There is no Larry on the winding machines or a “MJ” magic winder.   Fender and Duncan put a face to a custom winder, which probably adds value.  DiMarzio is faceless and you dont see any factory videos.  Maybe PG should do a factory tour video.

Of course all the pickup designs are by them, so the winding department winds to their specs. Duncan does hand wind some pickups. DiMarzio doesn’t hand wind at all. They have about a dozen or so people running the coil winders.

You will probably never see a video or photos from inside DiMarzio. Cameras and cell phones are forbidden in the winding area. They are very secretive. I had to sign a NDA.

The place is smaller than you’d expect, but runs very efficiently. I personally would work on a couple of hundred pickups a day.

The thing that impressed me was how many different custom parts they use. Lots of different pole screws, magnets, and things you don’t see.  They also make all the straps and cables in house. Had little old ladies sewing straps. lol.

Cool story!!

BluesJam

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 09:21:32 PM »
Hi DarthPhineas,

In regards to DiMarzio single coils, why doesn’t DiMarzio use eyelets in their bobbins, like Fender and Duncan.  They wire the lead wires inside  the coil like a humbucker.  It seems the eyelets would be more durable and easier to repair the leads.  I’m not sure what DiMarzio does to reinforce the lead wires in the coil.  I’ve never pulled off the tape on the FS1.  Maybe you can discuss this further.  TY!!!

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
Hi DarthPhineas,

In regards to DiMarzio single coils, why doesn’t DiMarzio use eyelets in their bobbins, like Fender and Duncan.  They wire the lead wires inside  the coil like a humbucker.  It seems the eyelets would be more durable and easier to repair the leads.  I’m not sure what DiMarzio does to reinforce the lead wires in the coil.  I’ve never pulled off the tape on the FS1.  Maybe you can discuss this further.  TY!!!

They do on the vintage style pickups.

The modern style pickups have plastic bobbins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »
The thing that impressed me was how many different custom parts they use. Lots of different pole screws, magnets, and things you don't see.  They also make all the straps and cables in house. Had little old ladies sewing straps. lol.

That's awesome!!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Larry DiMarzio
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
Hi DarthPhineas,

Hey BJ

Call in to DMZ during business hours and ask for Eric in tech support.  Or email him via the “tech support” email link on the DiMarzio site.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:44:11 PM by DarthPhineas »
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

BluesJam

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 03:13:42 AM »
Thank you for the information!!!

I’m assuming that the True Velvets use fiber board construction like a vintage pickup and the poles are not adjustable because the coil wires are touching them.  Whereas, the FS1 uses a plastic bobbin and the poles are placed inside the bobbin and are adjustable because they have no contact with the coil wire.

I’m also assuming the plastic bobbins prevent eyelets to be added due to possible melting of the plastic.  Hopefully the internal soldered connections are durable over time.  They used this method in humbuckers since the 1950’s, so hopefully the FS1’s won’t fail me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:24:08 AM by BluesJam »