DiMarzio Twang King / Area T / Virtual T

• 5 Replies

Offline pstankiewicz91

• View Profile
DiMarzio Twang King / Area T / Virtual T
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:50:15 AM »
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and you have probably discussed the topic already yet I hope that my question will add something to the discussion.

So, I am currently using Ibanez FR365 (Tone Core pickups) which I seek to replace with DiMarzio pickups (Tone Zone for the bridge) but I have a problem with choosing the right neck pickup for the guitar.

I have been considering Twang King, Area T or Virtual T pickups for that, however, I have some questions concerning the pickups.

First of all, is Twang King a noiseless pickup? If not, what do you do to reduce the noise of the pickup?
Secondly, are there any other 'single coil' type pickups which could be used in Ibanez FR365 guitar? "Humbucking" pickups included.

I seek to have a punchy tone when it comes to my playing, I really like 'fenderesque' style, clean, twang tones, but I often play some modern stuff in which just a shade of the aforementioned sound should be added.

Could you help me with this one, please?

I am sorry for my English - I am not a native speaker of the language. 

Thank you in advance for all the responses!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DiMarzio Twang King / Area T / Virtual T
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:32:11 AM »
Hi,

First of all, your English is fine.

Second, the easiest question to answer: Twang King is not a noiseless pickup.

Third, the problem with all tele type neck pickups, DiMarzio or other, is low output. If you pair any of these with a high output pickup such as the Tone Zone you may get an output imbalance. If you are set on the Tone Zone as the bridge pickup I would check whether it is possible to fit a strat type pickup in the neck position. That would give you a lot more viable alternatives but I am not sure whether it fits.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline pstankiewicz91

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:49:40 AM »
Thank you for a swift and professional reply!

I understand the intricacy of Twang King's tone then.

When I tried to juxtapose the size of a typical strat pickup to my 'neck' pickup space it seemed that it is either too big or it would fit if you tried really hard and thus I am confused about what to do in this case.

I have already ordered and received the Tone Zone the sound of which I simply love, so I would like to find the best possible (noiseless if possible) alternative to fit in the guitar.

Area T seemed a nice solution, but its accessibility in my country is very, very low.

Are there any other suggestions you, or anyone else, could share me with so that I could check those.

Offline Gavron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 08:41:59 AM »
pstankiewicz91 twój angielski jest super!/Your english is brilliant:)

Strangeman86

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
Well, it isn't an ideal solution for some, but if you can't find a 'stock' tele-style pickup that works you could always call up either Seymour Duncan or Mojotone. They both offer custom pickups in most styles (albeit for a higher than normal price).

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 03:51:02 AM »
If it has to be a tele type neck pickup because nothing else will fit without modification to the guitar, I would look for tele neck pickups that are designed to approach a strat pickup. Strangeman pointed in the right direction. I also think that Lindy Fralin designed a tele neck pickup for Jim Weider. If I remember correctly it is called the Big T and is offered by Analogman but it is not humcancelling. As far as humcancellng tele neck pickups, I prefer the Bill Lawrence TL-202 to the Area T neck as it is a bit loutder and more open (at least in the guitar I had both pickups in back-to-back).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b