Dimarzio D Activator-X (bridge) Review...

• 1 Replies

Strangeman86

Dimarzio D Activator-X (bridge) Review...
« on: June 03, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
Hello folks!  I hope the day finds you all well!  Just wanted to present my thoughts on a long time curiosity of mine, the D Activator-X bridge model.

Pros:
- Output for days, but not overbearing (and if it's too much for you, just lower the pickup away from the strings a bit... or a lot, the pickup won't mind).
- Great clarity and note separation (not nearly as good as some, but vastly superior to others).
- Dynamically sensitive (again, not as good as some, but for a pickup with three giant ceramic magnets it's pretty stinkin' good).
- Don't let the EQ measurements fool you, the pickup feels a bit more 'flat' which I feel makes it more adaptable to multiple situations (your amp and pedal EQ adjustments are much more important though).
- A reasonably 'big' sound.
- The dual blades have always been an appealing look for me  ;D
- The extra output means you don't have to dig in or pick as hard.
- Lots of tasty harmonics that are easy to call forth.

Cons:
- Probably the biggest one is the EQ.  I've seen some folks describe this pickup as dull or lifeless.  And given that a lot of Dimarzio's humbuckers have a more mid-boosted voicing (Dominion, Imperium, Sonic Ecstacy, Pandemonium, etc...) it's easy to see why.
- The dual blade look isn't for everyone and you can't have it with a cover of any sort (although you can get it in a large number of colored bobbin combo's).
- Some folks like their pickups to be more subtle.  While it IS possible to be so with the DAX, it is certainly not its primary strength.
- Feels a bit stiff in certain situations.

Overall, a fantastic pickup if you need something big, powerful and almost neutral.  It will likely appeal more to players who want those qualities and like their effects/preamps/amps to do more of the voicing.  For me, it's more of a pallet cleanser after years of playing pickups with boosted mids.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:35:43 PM by Strangeman86 »

Strangeman86

Re: Dimarzio D Activator-X (bridge) Review...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:18:16 AM »
I know there was a thread recently talking about how high pickups should be and I commented that I simply adjust each pickup to taste. With my setup (medium action, guitar description in my sig') I like the DAX 2.5mm from the low E and roughly 1.3mm from the high e. Just in case anyone is curious.