Capacitors affect your pickup tone even on 10.

• 6 Replies

BluesJam

Capacitors affect your pickup tone even on 10.
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »
I saw a video that shows how a capacitor on a tone pot affects the pickups tonality even when the pot is on 10.  This is a great video.  Maybe changing you capacitor will make your pickups sound better!?  https://youtu.be/y7y6wD1LHYQ

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
Re: Capacitors affect your pickup tone even on 10.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
They don’t really. Capacitors have an impedance. That changes with frequency. This is why different values pass different frequencies.

At the frequency at which the RC circuit is resonant, the cap’s impedance is a lot less than the pot value.  So the cap looks like a wire.

As you turn down the tone control pot from ten, the major effect is changing the resistive loading on the resonant circuit. This is because the impedance of the capacitor in the range of the resonance is a lot less than the pot value.

As the pot gets closer to zero, the capacitor becomes important, but the initial effect is just resistive loading.

So if you remove the cap you might hear a difference on 10, but you won’t hear a difference with different value caps.

In one of my basses I have a switch to chose between two different value caps or no cap. When the tone control is on 10, switching the switch does nothing to the sound.  That’s with a 500k pot.

With 250k you might hear more resistance loading. If you want to remove the cap on 10, get a no load pot.

The function of the cap is to pass signal above its resonant frequency to ground. That’s your high frequency content. So your signal gets muffled. And all this talk about paper-in-oil sounding “better” than a film cap, or even ceramic is nonsense, since you never hear the signal passing through the cap.

All that matters is the value of the cap, and it shouldn’t be old and “leaky” or have a too high an ESR rating. That’s the resistance of the cap. But that’s usually pretty low. Ceramic caps have a lower ESR than film caps. But at the most it’s a couple of ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesJam

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:40:50 PM »
Hi Raven, thanks for the information!!!!  The video did show an a tone change of the pickups, even on 10 with various capacitors.   The .022 sounded the best.  I found a he video interesting.  I don’t use the tone knob that much.  The volume pot does what I need.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:54:09 AM »
You need to consider that the tone pot with the cap is in parallel to the signal path, and it goes to ground. A capacitor passes all frequencies up from a certain point, so say a 0.022uf cap (typical tone cap value) passes everything from 70hz upwards (just as an example to explain the principle - the real breakpoint may be different). This means that if that guitar has a 500k volume pot and a 500k tone pot, for AC purposes the frequencies from 70hz upwards look at a 250k load (both 500k pots in parallel).

Now if you replace the tone cap of 0.022uf with a 0.0022uf. That cap will pass everything from 700hz upwards in the same circuit, which means that the frequencies between 70hz and 700hz, which saw a 250k load before, now see a 500k load, and that makes a difference. How much depends on the guitar itself, the pickup and the pots used and can range from almost inaudible to subtley different to noticeable different.

You cannot measure the total load with a multimeter since the multimeter only reads DC values, and the cap is open circuit for DC.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

BluesJam

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:26:28 AM »
Great explanation guys!!!  I always knew that pilots had a resistance which added capacitance to the circuit.  I did not realize that capacitor size also affects tone as well, even if all the pots are on 10.  I guess the no load pot was developed to prevent signal loss from capacitance.   Cheers!

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
This all makes sense. I played around with cap values when i modded a couple of DS-1s. I ended up with a .033 uf cap for the one I kept for my board. I did tend to fatten things up and made the tone control useable past the 9 o clock position. Different scenario but it definitely backs up the comments on cap values and how they affect tone. I should have also mentioned that when the tone control is dimed it is much less shrill.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:28:55 PM by Guitar74 »
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

BluesJam

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
Sometimes obviousness is overlooked in our quest for tone. :madness: