Sterling St Vincent pickups change

• 4 Replies

Offline Ogar

• View Profile
Sterling St Vincent pickups change
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
Hello,
I've bought a quite good Sterling indonesian version of the St Vincent Signature model (by Music Man). Do you know if I can change the Sterling pickups by real Dimarzio ones, like on the Music Man model ? Which ones ? Dp 240 ? Dp 241 ?
Best,
Ogar

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Sterling St Vincent pickups change
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:17:55 PM »
The ones on the US EBMM St. Vincent are custom, and Music Man is pretty hush-hush about what the winds are. I'd reach out to Dimarzio themselves and ask what's most similar in their lineup.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
If you have the guitar with the three mini humbuckers, the original neck and middle are the equivalent to the old DiMarzio Mini Humbucker (DP-168) and the bridge is the equivalent to the DiMarzio Hot Minibucker (DP-198). I have bought a used set of these not long ago and compared the specs. They are real DiMarzios but to me they are both better suited for the bridge position.

The DP 240 is one of my favorite neck pickups. It is a lot brighter than the DP-168 with a bit less output and a lot less mud in the low end and from my perspective would be an upgrade. No experience with the DP 241 which is the current bridge version.

If it were my guitar I would get two DP 240s for neck and middle and put one of the DP 168 in the bridge - the DP 198 can be a bit honky or nasal in some guitars. The DP 168 is more PAF-like if that is what you want. However, if you want a hotter sound than what you currently have, stay away from the DP 240.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 05:46:32 PM »
BTW I would recommend closing the other thread so that you get the replies in one thread.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Ogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
Thanks for your quick and precious answer.

Ogar