Suitable Chrome Covered Humbucker..

• 4 Replies

Offline Dava4444

• View Profile
Suitable Chrome Covered Humbucker..
« on: May 30, 2019, 01:29:33 PM »
Hi guys

new here so please be gentle.. :)

Been a bit of a fan of DiMarzios for a while, starting with the (rumored*) Fender DiMarziclones and moving on to the Japanese Dimarziclone. I own a couple of sets of Super Dist. too.. one set that came on my Westbury Standard.

I have an Gibson SG that is (hopefully) soon to be upgraded..

I was thinking about splashing out on a bridge humbucker and would much prefer DiMarzio, but that's where my dilemma lays*.

What do I play?

Nu-Grunge/High Gain/Nu-Metal and 50's d*ck Dale.. the Late Great d*ck Dale! Surf rock.. bit Chris Isaak-y ultra clean loads of reverb.

That's it.

I need the pickup to look like an SG standard.. chrome cover, six screw pieces. If it weren't for the style, I totally dig the hex pole pieces. But that's not on the cards.

I have a Gibson 491T in the neck.. MAN the sustain be crazy good!
That'll get a cover on it.. but I'd prefer to not have to faff about buying another extra cover if I can buy a suitable pickup with the cover already on..

Any advice?

Dava

*it's hotly rumored that for the first Fender (high gain style) humbuckers, Fender either cloned a super dist. or got DiMarzio to design it for them. This was back in the 80s.
*Lies?.. if so we really need to get a new spelling for that word.. and 'lys' is rubbish... OR 'that's where lays my dilemma.' hmm

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Suitable Chrome Covered Humbucker..
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
The Illuminators are pretty cool for high-gain stuff, and they split well for more single-coil sounds, but they're really modern-voiced, and pretty tight (which may or may not be your thing).

The D Sonic (which is one blade coil and one hex coil but I think you could put a cover on) was Brad Delson's (from Linkin Park) pickup of choice for a while, but I have no personal experience but I hear it's a bit of a marmite pickup. Dunno about the coil split though, so hopefully someone who's had one can chime in.

The Tone Zone (I think) would probably be my personal recommendation -- I've played it in a bunch of Ibby Prestiges, and it always sounds really killer for high-gain stuff. It's pretty thick and warm, so it works best with brighter amps or a TS-style boost. Splits pretty well too, so it would probably cover your bases.

Offline Dava4444

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 02:41:00 PM »
Hi Harlow
thanks for the reply man :)

The Illuminators are pretty cool for high-gain stuff, and they split well for more single-coil sounds, but they're really modern-voiced, and pretty tight (which may or may not be your thing).

I was looking into them.. they sound interesting, I liked the Crunch Lab better, but its a plus to have the screw top pole pieces to fit the SG standard look.

The D Sonic (which is one blade coil and one hex coil but I think you could put a cover on) was Brad Delson's (from Linkin Park) pickup of choice for a while, but I have no personal experience but I hear it's a bit of a marmite pickup. Dunno about the coil split though, so hopefully someone who's had one can chime in.

I don't know these.. but I like Linkin Park's sound so.. yeah. give those a look

The Tone Zone (I think) would probably be my personal recommendation -- I've played it in a bunch of Ibby Prestiges, and it always sounds really killer for high-gain stuff. It's pretty thick and warm, so it works best with brighter amps or a TS-style boost. Splits pretty well too, so it would probably cover your bases.

ohw yeah Vai gets a great sound..

I mostly play with my Line 6 Spider II (love that amp!!) I also have a Bugera Inf. G5 (Mesa Boogie Special II clone) but as a head. Great amp, sounds amazing! but day to day I use the Line 6.

The main thing I was hoping was..  for it to some with the chrome cover already.
Do you know any DiMarzios that are covered I could check out?

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »
The main thing I was hoping was..  for it to some with the chrome cover already.
You can order basically any pickup direct from them with chrome covers installed from the factory. It's a little harder to find them in the wild sometimes, but anything (except a few of the Steve Vai pickups and the Sonic Ecstasy) that has screws and slugs or double hex poles can be had with factory covers. The blades (and by extension the Crunch Lab, D-Sonic, and Megadrive) aren't offered with covers from the factory, but can be had with chrome bobbins if that floats your boat.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »

You can put/get a cover on most models from most companies.

Focus on then tone first.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram