Steve Morse neck in the bridge?

• 5 Replies

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Steve Morse neck in the bridge?
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
Anyone ever try that?  Looks vintage output but darker, seems interesting.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Steve Morse neck in the bridge?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
It could work in a very very bright sounding guitar (thinking an all maple monster here). The last time I tried a Steve Morse neck, it was actually in the neck position and it definitely sounded like a darker fuller sounding vintage paf. Would imagine it could carry most of the characteristics in the bridge position. Probably not something I'd do in a guitar that's fairly balanced or darker in tone to begin with though. Give it a shot and lets us know your experience :D
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Since I'm generally not a fan of overly bright in the bridge, I'm hoping it isn't an issue.  I wanted a PAF type pickup that I could put in the bridge and not have to use 250ks to tame; specs say it might fit the bill but the proof is in the pudding.  Will report back once it's in.

I put A3 in my VHPAF to tame it and it's still almost as bright as a VSolo in the bridge, but just about there with a 250k load.  With 500 it was just too harsh, even with A3.   

Offline Marshall Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
Since I'm generally not a fan of overly bright in the bridge, I'm hoping it isn't an issue.  I wanted a PAF type pickup that I could put in the bridge and not have to use 250ks to tame; specs say it might fit the bill but the proof is in the pudding.  Will report back once it's in.

I put A3 in my VHPAF to tame it and it's still almost as bright as a VSolo in the bridge, but just about there with a 250k load.  With 500 it was just too harsh, even with A3.
ever consider breed neck in the bridge?  should be great with 500K's

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
I have tried it, but I found it had a very piercing pick attack, even moreso than a bridge PAF.  I guess it needs that for articulation in the neck, but it was too much for me in the bridge.  Other than that it was fine, but the piercing chirp got to me.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I just tried it in a PRS Single Cut, replacing a PRS 7 Treble. Not overwhelmed to be honest. A bit clearer than the 7. With 500k load, a bit piercing. Down at 330k it lost too much articulation. About 400k (2.2 meg resistor in parallel with the 500k pot) was my preferred load but still - OK but not spectacular.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b