DiMarzio Custom Shop

• 17 Replies

BluesJam

DiMarzio Custom Shop
« on: May 26, 2019, 11:23:18 PM »
I’m not sure why DiMarzio does not have a custom shop for one-offs and limited edition runs of pickups.  I think limited edition runs would be a great concept.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DiMarzio Custom Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 03:28:30 AM »
If I understand their FAQ correctly they do a lot of former models upon special order., and I also understand that they do special requests as RW/RP or the no flange option on their single coil sized models.  I guess that is similar to a custom shop without calling it one.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

BluesJam

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »
Perhaps DiMarzio needs to create more options for customization.  I still think a limited run model concept would add aftermarket values, too.  It would provide the opportunity to use premium materials for short runs.  Obviously, they would be priced higher.  Think wooden bobbins, carbon graphite bobbins, pickup surrounds, premium wire options), thick gold, bronze, silver platings etc. 

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »
Agreed. They are missing a huge $-making opportunity that would also boost customer satisfaction.

They could start by putting an end to the refusal to make more Virtual and Virtual Hot PAF models.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

BluesJam

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:23:22 PM »
+1.   Limited Edition Pickups would be hit items for sure!

marcwormjim

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »
I’ve always taken the absence of a custom shop as a testament to how small an operation Dimarzio really is.

BluesJam

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 11:15:04 AM »
DiMarzio’s a small company?  They probable sell thousands of pickups every week, not to mention the OEM deals. 

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
DiMarzio’s a small company?  They probable sell thousands of pickups every week, not to mention the OEM deals.

I worked there for a bit. Not a big company by any means. Maybe 50 people work there? But they do make hundreds of pickups a day.

I was assembling pickups and would see custom orders from time to time. Might have just been the color and stuff.

They certainly do make custom pickups for people, but that wasn’t in my area so I guess just email or call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesJam

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
Wow.... I was expecting a bit more.  I figured that they were larger than that.  With all the pickups and accessories that they sell, I expected a bit more.  That shop makes big corporate dollars worldwide.  I guess Larry keeps it simple for a reason.  Do what you do best and don’t venture far from the business plan.  It’s worked for 40 years, and technology is basically the same as the 1950’s.  Bill Lawrence taught him well.

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 06:52:44 PM »
Wow.... I was expecting a bit more.  I figured that they were larger than that.  With all the pickups and accessories that they sell, I expected a bit more.  That shop makes big corporate dollars worldwide.  I guess Larry keeps it simple for a reason.  Do what you do best and don’t venture far from the business plan.  It’s worked for 40 years, and technology is basically the same as the 1950’s.  Bill Lawrence taught him well.

I was impressed that they do everything in house. There’s elderly women sewing straps, and they make the cables and stuff right there.

It’s a well run operation.

Another thing I didn’t realize is they make lots of OEM pickups for Ibanez and Ernie Ball. So even when they don’t say “DiMarzio” pickups, they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesJam

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 01:37:03 PM »
What is the difference in build quality of an Ibanez pickup vs a DiMarzio branded pickup?  Are they their own models, or a rebranded version of a retail model?  Is Larry still involved in making pickups or is it a member of his team, aka Steve Blutcher.  I don’t see any PR on what he does vs Seymour Duncan.  I believe that Larry’s daughter is the CEO of the company.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:44:08 PM by BluesJam »

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
What is the difference in build quality of an Ibanez pickup vs a DiMarzio branded pickup?  Are they their own models, or a rebranded version of a retail model?  Thanks!

Build quality on the one I have (Dimarzio-branded Fusion Edge from an RGR652AHM) has been identical to the other Dimarzios I've had and played, as well as the V7/8/S1 in the RG550 reissues (designed by Dimarzio but built by Ibanez in Japan, as far as I know).

As far as the actual sound of the pickups, it depends on the model. The V/S line is its own thing, real versatile and evenly-voiced to my ear, the Fusion Edge set is similar to the Titans, but lower output and less pokey in the mids, and both the Kiko Loureiro (only in his signature ibanez) and Chris Broderick (ditto for his sig Jackson) are original, but sort of informed by existing models (Kiko's said his is based on a gained-up PAF Pro, and the Chris Broderick set based on a D-Activator bridge and PAF Pro neck, if I recall correctly).

BluesJam

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
Raven, how was your experience as an employee?  Obviously, you still like their pickups, I guess you must like the quality and workmanship .

BTW, do they test the pickups like Bill Lawrence for shorts and eddy currents?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:55:57 PM by BluesJam »

Offline jule7625

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 03:58:54 PM »
This is a great option Seymour Duncan offer:
http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/build-your-own-pickup/
What pickup would you order if DiMarzio offered the same service?

BluesJam

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »
I would be very interested in a dual sound single coil for the bridge position that has both a P90 sound and a strat sound.  SDS/True Velvet hybrid.  I would like to have an optional electrically grounded nickel steel cover for shielding purposes.   The SDS has low magnetic pull design, which I like.  I also like the True Velvet sparkle.  That would be my ultimate pickup.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:39:01 PM by BluesJam »