Wiring a dimarzio hotrails super dist to mex fender tele

• 4 Replies

Offline RustyBstrings

• View Profile
Wiring a dimarzio hotrails super dist to mex fender tele
« on: May 20, 2019, 01:47:42 AM »
Hi, this is my first time here. I was wondering if anyone could help me by giving some basic instructions on how to wire my new dimarzio super dist hotrails bridge pickup into my Mexican fender Tele. The pickup has 5 wires(red ,green ,white , black and in insulated silver) and the guitar has a black ground and a yellow hot. I just need to know where to solder what. I know some are soldered together and some go to the guitars two wires I just don’t know why goes where. Any help will get me back chugging hopefully and will be greatly appreciated. Cheers from Australia.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Wiring a dimarzio hotrails super dist to mex fender tele
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 01:44:44 AM »
It's super easy. Assuming your original Tele pickup is just a two wire conductor. One that goes to the switch and the other one to the ground. To wire up the DiMarzio Super Distortion S, just join the black and white wires together. and just leave it (cover up the wire with some electrical tape or insulate it with some heat shrink). The green wire goes to the ground and the red wire goes to the switch. That's it.

The black and white wires are just to connect the two coils. Since you're just running the pickup in series with no fancy wiring, they don't need to be soldered to any thing other than each other.

Hope that makes sense.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 03:38:51 AM »
It does, Budd :)

The silver wire needs to go to ground (usually the back of a pot).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:22:43 PM »
Oh right yeah. There's also that blasted shielding. That goes with the green wire to ground.

When I first started wiring guitars, I was totally lost so I know how overwhelming it can be at the beginning going from a single conductor pickup to a multi wire conductor pickup. Let us know how it goes!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 03:57:45 AM »
I fully agree - at first it is a confusing puzzle.

What helped me is to understand how the signal flows (i.e. the signal path) - it comes from the pickups and it leaves the output jack, so there are two options: (1) hot lead from pickup goes to a volume pot input and from the volume pot output to the switch and from there to the output jack or (2) hot lead from pickup goes to the switch, from there to a volume pot input and from the volume pot output to the output jack (tone controls ignored for a moment as they can be anywhere in parallel to the signal path).

With that in mind I found it much easier to understand wiring diagrams.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b