Guitar Pickups Sweet Spot (your experience)

• 9 Replies

BluesJam

Guitar Pickups Sweet Spot (your experience)
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:49:57 PM »
I prefer DiMarzio true single coil pickups, from my experience 5mm bass side and 4mm treble side works for me.  I use linked paper clips to check magnet strength from the poles on the string.  Paper clips are very helpful in gauging pickup magnetism upon the string.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:53:57 PM by BluesJam »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Guitar Pickups Sweet Spot (your experience)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:59:17 PM »
How exactly does that work, and what do you find out by doing it?

BluesJam

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 11:08:19 PM »
Lay your guitar down on a flat surface.  Link 2 steel paper clips together.  You hold one end the other paper clip will dangle freely.  When you get into the vicinity of the pickup, the loose paper clip will react to the magnetic field.  From there, you will see and feel the force of the magnetic field.  If the field is too strong/or weak, you can adjust your pickup accordingly.  The paper clip test will let you feel the magnetic pull, which simulates what the magnetic forces made upon the string.  I prefer to have less magnetic force so the strings ring out and sustain more.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
It varies between pickups for me really. I really should measure it sometime.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Strangeman86

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »
Same here. It depends on the guitar and the pickups. I just adjust to taste

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
I tend to keep humbuckers and single-coils alike pretty far from the strings because I generally have decently hot pickups and pretty big strings. It helps tame the output a little, and seems (to me) to open the midrange a bit, tame the low end, and keep the treble from getting harsh when picking hard (I use pretty thick picks and the chirp on the attack is :madness: sometimes). My Kiesel has the both humbuckers decked flat (treble side about 1/16" higher to balance the strings), as does my Ormsby, but the Strandberg has the stock setup for now which I found pretty good (about 1/2" from the strings on the neck and middle on the bass side, 5/8" on the treble side; and 3/4" on the bridge humbucker bass side, 3/8" on the treble).

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 04:18:20 AM »

+1.

What I listen for is

1) low end: on the bridge I set it below the bass strings so that the low end is just enough so that the punch comes in but not as much so that it masks the midrange and make the low notes disappear. On the neck i set it low enough to remove the mud.

2) high end: on the bridge I set the treble side as high as possible until it either gets too close to touch or the tone becomes brittle - then I back it off a bit. Same on the neck pickup.

The results are slightly different on each guitar. I never measure.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

BluesJam

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
That’s interesting.  I base my final setup on the parameters of the magnetic pull. A5 rods can be very strong.  I loose some output but I get a sweet tone and lots of sustain.  The difference in huge.  Also, it gives me lots of space and dynamics to pick over the pickups poles.  It adds some percussiveness to my rhythm playing.  I find it annoying when the pickup height interferes with my playing, and a thought of it is sometimes distracting.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 08:00:51 AM »
It varies between pickups for me really. I really should measure it sometime.

This

And this
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »
I don't measure. I adjust where each pickup sounds the best, check for level volume, and then make a compromise between sound/volume level. Like others, it differs with each pickup for me.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else