Custom Mustang Wiring

• 1 Replies

zjdrummond

Custom Mustang Wiring
« on: May 18, 2019, 12:28:39 AM »
I need help designing a custom wiring diagram for my offset series Mustang. I'm going to install two Seymour Duncan pickups-a Mustang pickup in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. I want to retain the 3-way selector switch for pickup switching. I also want to one push-pull pot to split the humbucker (I want the single coil sound to leave the slug/inner coil turned on), and another push-pull to flip the two pickups out of phase with each other. I have looked over dozens of different wiring diagrams on Seymour Duncan's site and others. I still haven't found one that fits my needs. Can anyone help me? I'm confident that if I had a wiring diagram I would be able to solder everything together well. I'm just iffy on how to connect everything...

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Mustang Wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 03:14:44 PM »
Even though there may not be the exact diagram you are looking for it should be relatively easy to put the pieces together.

1. Start with a simple two humbucker diagram which uses a three way toggle switch. Wire the Seymour Duncans as per the instructions (i.e for the humbucker black to hot, white + red together (not connected), and green to ground).

2. Then add to that a diagram for the coil split. If you use a push-pull pot, put red+white of the humbucker to the middle connection of one side. Then put a wire from the top connection of the same side to ground. Pushed in the pickup should run as humbucker. Pulled out it should run with the slug coil only as the screw coil is put to ground.

3. Finally add a diagram for the out-of-phase switch. You can either put the Mustang pickup or the humbucker to the out-of-phase switch.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b