Earthquaker Devices Cloven Hoof

• 3 Replies

Strangeman86

Earthquaker Devices Cloven Hoof
« on: May 16, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
I really wanted to let the honeymoon period wear off before I spoke my mind on this pedal (I've had it four solid months).  I'd been looking for an articulate, aggressive, dynamically responsive and doom-ish fuzz and every one that I'd tried or listened to came up very short of what I wanted.  I actually emailed the folks at Reverb who were kind enough to recommend this little box (in fact, the gentleman I spoke to had recently been looking for something similar, purchased and fell in love with this particular fuzz).  So I found one gently used and pulled the trigger.  Now...

Pros:
- Incredibly adjustable between the shift (mid frequency), tone and fuzz knobs.  It can go from dark and roaring to thin and splatty and a bunch of flavors in between.
- It sounds great with the fuzz knob anywhere (it really depends if you want more of a 'vintage' sound or something modern/heavier).
- It responds to adjustments of the volume knob wonderfully.
- Note separation is just fantastic.
- it has inspired me to write more than a handful of riffs/licks.

Cons:
- I constantly have to convince myself NOT to buy a second one (but on the real, it could use a hair more output on the volume knob, I almost have to max it out).
- The white LED is bloody blinding!

Overall, this is my dream fuzz.  It's a grind-y, chainsaw-y, wall of a fuzz that makes me smile every time I stomp it on.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquaker Devices Cloven Hoof
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 04:04:20 AM »
Great review, thanks for sharing.

Personally I am split with fuzzes, although I have to admit not having tried many of them. The ones I tried were

- Fulltone Octave 2: not my thing at all
- Roger Mayer Voodoo Axe: - OK with single coils, cannot take humbuckers or any other high output pickups well, great as a signal splitter though
- Barber Trifecta: somewhat OK but overall too thin sounding to me
- Lone Wolf Audio Iron Fist: this is my favorite so far - does a good distortion and also the broken sounding fuzz tones

The Cloven Hoof was and is still on my list to try.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline chad25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »
Love ED products. Great sounding

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 02:50:45 AM »
+1. Especially the Levitation, Dispatch Master and the Space Spiral. Night Wire is also great

Of the drive pedals I only tried the Acapulco Gold and sent it back. The Talons would have interested me but it's out of production.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b