What's up with the PAF master bridge?

• 4 Replies

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
What's up with the PAF master bridge?
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
A4, 7.69k DCR, mean output 278mv. 

What?

278mv is on the hot side of PAF output.  But A4 is a weak magnet; fully charged it is weaker than A5 or A2.  7.69k DCR is a low wind on a PAF and ought to be low output given the magnet choice.  I have some sub 8k PAFs I use in the bridge, but I use A8, which is the Hulk of magnets, because even with A5 they are low output and searingly bright (and they also have a DCR of more than 7.7k).

This all assumes it is an actual PAF and uses 42 ga wire. 

So I have to conclude that it does not use 42ga wire, because there is no way to get that sort of output level with that magnet and that DCR reading with 42.  I'd guess they're using 41 or some sort of metric equivalent, because 7.69k of 40 probably wouldn't fit on the coils. 

Anyone actually disassembled one?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: What's up with the PAF master bridge?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »
Haven't tried disassembling one yet but it does sound like an interesting project for some folks here to attempt.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:11 AM »
After installing it I'm fairly sure its larger gauge wire as it has some characteristics I've come to associate with that. 

The output spec seems correct; it's not a "weak" pickup like you'd expect from sub 8k DCR and A4 mag.  I installed one with a cover in the bridge of a 60s trib Les Paul, replacing a Duncan Custom 5, and it was a huge improvement.  Tight but big low end, plenty of cut without transcending into harsh treble (cover may have that cured) and the vocal mid quality that typifies a lot of DiMarzios. 

One thing:  The attack is very accentuated, and it 'chirps' on the pick attack.  Big time.  The attack is almost explosive, like you'd get from an amp if you put a filter cap on every stage, and the chirp is prominent.  Some folks might like that, some won't, but it's an interesting quality, and one I associate with larger wire gauges than 42. 

Partially due to that, it responds extremely well to a very low value tone cap rolled back to make it sound like a "hotter" pickup.  I used about 850pf, and rolled back it takes on a throaty, mid forward, 'cocked wah' kind of tone, which is exactly what that is supposed to achieve, but it DOES NOT lose pick attack articulation and fast picked runs stay defined.   That makes the pickup very versatile, as it will do the bright PAF thing without making you squint on higher notes, and can do the fatter/hotter thing with a small tone cap rolled back and not have the pick attack muffled. 

It's definitely staying in there. 

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
Very interesting review, many thanks for sharing.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
BTW - what load did you use with that pickup and what did you specifically like over the Custom 5?

Thanks, Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b