DiMarzio and lack of single coil choices!

• 19 Replies

BluesJam

DiMarzio and lack of single coil choices!
« on: May 08, 2019, 10:51:31 PM »
DiMarzio’s selection if single coil pickup models are very limited.  FS1, Dark Matter, SDS, Red Velvet and True Velvet.  I’m surprised that they cannot advance a single coil pickup design any further than what is out on the market.  I’m surprised they did not invent technology that will advance single coil pickups.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DiMarzio and lack of single coil choices!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 04:47:22 AM »
Well - they have with their Area series. All the single coil tone you would want but none of the hum. You even could say that the Area series is the hardest competitor to their non-humcancelling single coil pickups.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:59:17 PM »
What exactly do you want that you cannot get?

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:05:19 AM »
What exactly do you want that you cannot get?

This.
They have 32 variants of Strat pickups, but yes, only 7 of those are standard single-coils. But even the standard sc's have varying degrees of output, up to the point of the Dark Matter and SDS, when the they are high-output and the treble starts rolling off. There is more variety in their noiseless Strat pu line.

Personally, I wish DiMarzio would do some Area Jazzmaster sets. That (noiseless JM pu's) is still a market share with few players.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 08:20:02 AM »
I wish they did an Area P90.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

BluesJam

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
I’m a single coil guy, and I do like the FS1 and ordered it.  I wish DiMarzio pushed other pickup options for true single coils, to include P90’s.  They need improvement in this area.  I get the hum-cancellation singles, but they are not better than true singles, imho...ymmv.  Put some A2, various over wounds, mixed magnets combinations in the catalog.  Most small winders have more models of single coils than DiMarzio.  How ironic.  Seems like DiMarzio does not want to actively complete in the single coil replacement pickup market.

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:02:22 PM »
How do you “advance” a single coil? What are you going to do to it?

Single coils are extremely simple pickups. And people that want single coils generally want a vintage reproduction.

DiMarzio did come out with overwound single coils with ceramic magnets and stuff back in the 70s.

I think they are more focused on noise canceling pickups. And some of their noise canceling pickups are very good, like the Virtual Vintage pickups.

That’s where the future is. Noise canceling pickups that sound like real single coils. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »
I’m a single coil guy, and I do like the FS1 and ordered it.  I wish DiMarzio pushed other pickup options for true single coils, to include P90’s.  They need improvement in this area.  I get the hum-cancellation singles, but they are not better than true singles, imho...ymmv.  Put some A2, various over wounds, mixed magnets combinations in the catalog.  Most small winders have more models of single coils than DiMarzio.  How ironic.  Seems like DiMarzio does not want to actively complete in the single coil replacement pickup market.

That’s Duncan’s market. Would DiMarzio even sell any?

I’m a pickup maker. I’ve mostly made bass pickups, and for those no one wanted real single coils, like Jazz Bass pickups. They wanted all the other stuff I make, which are hum canceling.

The small pickup makers all make the same stuff over and over again. How do you pick one over the other?

The other thing about DiMarzio is they make a lot of pickups for Ibanez and Ernie Ball. DiMarzio is not a huge company. I think they have all the orders they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »

That’s Duncan’s market.

Agreed.
SD has a 'custom' page/link where you can go in and spec something to your heart's content, although their stock offerings cover a lot of ground.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 03:44:53 AM »

I’m a pickup maker. I’ve mostly made bass pickups, and for those no one wanted real single coils, like Jazz Bass pickups. They wanted all the other stuff I make, which are hum canceling.

From my perspective of both playing both instruments and of watching the musical instrument market, bass players are different. The average bass player is far less vintage and a lot more function oriented than the average guitar player.

Cheers Stephan

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
I wish they did an Area P90.

Right?!?!  They must not have that one figured out yet from a technical perspective.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »
Well - I guess so. Looks like that humless P90s are difficult pickups to make and the effort to get that to the level they achieved with the Area strat and tele type pickups is not worth going for given that the guitars with strat and tele type pickups outnumber those with P90s. 

BluesJam

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
I think that manufacturers can improve upon single coil technologies.  Lace Sensors are one that comes to mind.  DiMarzio has patented the “Air” Humbucker and I’m surprised that there is no “air “ single coil model that has less magnetic pull on the strings.  The FS1 does not have much hum, which is a great improvement in of itself.  Maybe DiMarzio needs to think outside the box in their single coil line. 

marcwormjim

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 03:39:54 AM »
Dimarzio has patented the “Air” Humbucker and I’m surprised that there is no “air “ single coil model that has less magnetic pull on the strings.

Because the marketing isn’t the tech. Putting a plastic spacer between the rods and winding in a single coil for the sake of making it weaker isn’t as simple a means of achieving that end as swapping the material of the spacers in a humbucker is. Even if it was, the limited demand for weaker single coil pickups is already focused in the “vintage” market, which is anti-innovation. On the other end of the spectrum, Dimarzio’s passive Area series is the closest they come to competing with Fishman’s hum-free Fluence model (which gives you the selection between hot/weak).

No prospective buyer is going to overlook any of that for the sake of the “lower magnetic pull” marketing from the early 90s. Without even engaging the truthfulness of that marketing, it’s just not a detail you see at the forefront of advertising anymore. The closest I’ve seen to it is Lace’s Alumitones, and they didn’t exactly set the world on fire (or last long in my guitars, for that matter). I’d be surprised if Dimarzio dipped their toe into that pool any time, soon.

BluesJam

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
I bet Duncan and DiMarzio both have single coil and Humbucker models with the same exact winds but they modified/lowered the magnetisms which created a different pickup model.  Wills Easy Guitar (You Tube) recently had a video “dummying down” a single coil pickup to change the tone and output.  It only took a rare earth magnet and a few seconds of time.  When the rare earth magnet repelled against the top of the pickup the output decreased and tone got thicker.  When the rare earth magnet was flipped over the pickup got more powerful and brighter.  Pretty impressive video.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:36:42 PM by BluesJam »