Author Topic: What to pair with A EVO 2?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Wrath of nature

• Dimarzio Evo 2 & Evolutions neck
    • View Profile
What to pair with A EVO 2?
« on: April 17, 2019, 09:31:11 am »
  Hey people

I'll make this one short. Got a maple neckthrough/basswood wings, thin veneer top with a Rosewood fretboard. 25.5" neck with Tremolo. Evo 2 bridge.

Needing a crunchier, much more clear, cleaner low notes and not so much a fat neck pickup. A tad of warmth for tone but remain more bridge pickup sounding then a over powering liquid sound. This is a heavy metal based setup. Half step E strictly. Thrashy, punchy, powerful playing. Thickness and harmonics a must.

The best way to describe this sound in short is to sound like 2 bridge pickups in a double Humbucker guitar. It's a gift for a friends birthday but struggling hard to pin point a tone he goes with satisfied, without me changing his setup to balance when I do come around. He can never set his neck. Bridge will be good, neck out. Neck will sound great but bridge is out results.

So far tested has been a;

PAF pro
D-Activator Neck

Anything would help, thanks.

P.S. I told him to ditch the High out-put pickups and that might change things. Used a Super 3 and X2N. Loves the X2N more for it's crunching mid clean power but loves the EVO 2.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:25:05 pm by Wrath of nature »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: What to pair with A EVO 2?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:02 pm »
My first thought would be a Bluesbucker.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:02:46 pm »
  A bluesbucker for a cleaner metal, crunching NECK sound? Never would have thought of that. I'll look into this.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:49:06 pm »
Sounds like you would be satisfied with a Humbucker from Hell. The only reservation I would have with it is that it is a little lower output. It fits your description though.

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:47:00 am »
   This is thing I told my friend. Ditch the High output X2N & D-Activator Neck F-'spaced and try a lower output approach.

Does that Humbucker from Hell do good metal chops tones? Harmonics must be amazing and pop. Anyone have heavy metal experience in a neck? Not a downtune player and It's a Jackson Soloist Basswood. Can it handle a nice down tune odd occasion?
 I love the D-Activator neck on his guitar, he struggles with it.. The X2N is too much for me but he thinks it's thrash amazing but once he got hold of a EVO 2, all changed. More dynamics in his playing.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:59:01 am by Wrath of nature »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 02:39:11 pm »
Have you considered an Evo neck to go with the Evo2 Bridge? It sounds like another logical choice.
When you said, "Needing a crunchier, much more clear, cleaner low notes and not so much a fat neck pickup. A tad of warmth for tone but remain more bridge pickup sounding then a over powering liquid sound."  it brought to mind the Humbucker from Hell because that sounds like a description of it.

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 03:04:01 pm »
   I own a Evo 2 and EVO neck in a high end mahogany setneck setup. No Evo neck for my friend. Once again, this guitar isn't about my guitar. It's my friends. Evo neck is out.

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 10:40:00 am »
   Hoping this Humbucker from Hell does the trick, real pumped to hear this pickup in the neck for Heavy Metal.

Offline Moontalk09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 04:52:26 pm »
I too have Evos in Yamaha SJ550HM and can confirm - unless it's a JEM7V or sth with 24 frets, the neck one is dark and muddy (proly due to its location?) to the extent that I often thought of changing it for sth much articulate and brighter, like not even a HB but a HB-sized P90 (e.g. Tonerider Rebel 90 or a Phat Cat).
Good luck with DP156, seems like an obvious choice, and it definitely got me thinking.