More Air

• 8 Replies

Strangeman86

More Air
« on: March 28, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »
To stop myself from rambling...
- Purchased new pickup (from Duncan Custom Shop; 9.1k; darker, thicker, lower-output Custom Custom).
- Low end was a bit tubby, swapped the stock 3/4" fillister-heads for some 1/2" hex-heads from a Dimarzio (sacrilege) to tame it.  It worked.
- Decided to mod it further by 'airing' it, didn't have enough little plastic rings.
- I never liked the 'half-air' mod, to much emphasis on one coil's voice.
- 'Vari-air'd it (apparently envisioned by Frank Falbo).  This involves removing the keeper bar, placing one end of the magnet directly against the screw under the low strings and the other end directly against the slug under the high strings (cattywampus), then putting two little plastic rings in place (also cattywampus) to keep everything level.
- I prefer this to the half and full air mods.  It's a less drastic drop in output that still yields greater dynamic sensitivity while not over-emphasizing the voice of either coil.
- Your mileage may vary.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: More Air
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:08:41 AM »
Cool ideas, thanks for sharing.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
" 'Vari-air'd it (apparently envisioned by Frank Falbo).  This involves removing the keeper bar, placing one end of the magnet directly against the screw under the low strings and the other end directly against the slug under the high strings (cattywampus), then putting two little plastic rings in place (also cattywampus) to keep everything level."

That should get stickied on the mods post.  Interesting idea.

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »
After trying it, I'm surprised it hasn't gained more popularity.  It certainly isn't a drastic change, but I feel like subtlety is often overlooked.

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
Or just use a weaker magnet. DiMarzio does the air thing so as not to use a weakened magnet.

You can also use cardboard shims if you don’t have the nylon washers. The idea is to put some space between the magnet and poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 04:59:03 PM »

- Low end was a bit tubby, swapped the stock 3/4" fillister-heads for some 1/2" hex-heads from a Dimarzio (sacrilege) to tame it.  It worked.

Have you tried 1/2” fillisters?

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/PickupParts_x/Short-Humbucker-P90-5-40-Polepieces-Nickel
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Strangeman86

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 08:45:09 PM »
I just looked through my box of pickup parts and found six half-inch screws of the same make and ended up liking the results. 

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »

Have you tried 1/2” fillisters?

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/PickupParts_x/Short-Humbucker-P90-5-40-Polepieces-Nickel

Anyone by chance compared the short filisters to the same length hex head for tonal differences?

Strangeman86

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
If we're talking mojotone 1/2in filisters vs Duncan's hex heads, the Duncan's are brighter and just a little tighter.  The mojotones are a smidge more open sounding. At least that's what I've heard in my experiences.