Chopper and Chopper T exact same pup minus the baseplate?

• 4 Replies

Offline brain21

• View Profile
Chopper and Chopper T exact same pup minus the baseplate?
« on: March 16, 2019, 03:36:04 PM »
I can't seem to find specific information on this...  Are the Chopper (bridge, strat style) and the Chopper T (bridge, tele-stle base plate) the exact same pickup with the exception of the shape of the base plate?

I love the sound of the Chopper T in Richie Kotzens sig tele and was thinking of putting one in my own swamp ash guitar, but if they are the exact same, I'd prefer to use the Chopper vs the Chopper T for routing and aesthetic reasons (no pickguard).

TIA!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Chopper and Chopper T exact same pup minus the baseplate?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »
Hard to say. The only people that would know that would be the folks at DiMarzio. Given that the specs are almost identical, I wouldn't be surprised if they might be the same pickup.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 11:21:19 PM »
I would be surprised if they are exactly the same, but they would be darn close.

The different size of the tele and strat bobbins would probably need some type of change.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:05:11 AM »
The size of the coil is exactly the same. I have both, and i can fit the same covers on either.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline brain21

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »
Yeah, someone from DiMarzio contacted me and told me that they were exactly the same except for the shape of the baseplate.  Often Tele baseplates are not only a different shape, but they are constructed differently as well.  The as someone else mentioned, the bobbin sizes between tele and strat pickups are different.  However, this does not seem to be so for the Chopper and Chopper T.  The ony difference between the two is the shape of the baseplate.