Sterling by musicman majesty and sonic Ecstacy pickups

• 1 Replies

Offline Knighta4

• View Profile
Sterling by musicman majesty and sonic Ecstacy pickups
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:29:13 PM »
I had ordered the neck and bridge Sonic Ecstacy pickup to place into my Sterling majesty. I have the pickups fitted but having alittle trouble figuring out the wiring. Any idea of how to wire these babies?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sterling by musicman majesty and sonic Ecstacy pickups
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
In cases like these I would have drawn or taken a picture of the wiring before disconnecting the old pickups - in that case it is easier to find where which wire was and where the new wires need to go.

I found a schematic here: https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/the-majesty

Looks like one of the toggles controls whether the piezo, magnetic pickups or both are on. When you took the old pickups out you probably have not touched any of the wires going to this switch so we can ignore that as the new pickups will not require any connections be made to that switch.

The other toggle controls the magnetic pickups with the positions bridge, both, neck. The tone control is a push pull that splits the humbuckers in the middle position only. The magnetic pickups are further controlled by a master volume and master tone.

I would then guess that the red wires of the pickups go to the toggle (bridge pickup to one side, neck pickup to the other), the green wires to ground, and the black+white should be soldered together and go to the switch on the push-pull. In a first step you can leave the black+white soldered together but not connected to anything in order to get the humbuckers running.

BTW do you have a digital multimeter? If not and you plan to do more wiring in the future you should get one. They are cheap, and I find them indispensible for troubleshooting.

Good luck
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b