Author Topic: What happens if I put a cover on a blade pickup?  (Read 389 times)

Offline Lelik

• View Profile
What happens if I put a cover on a blade pickup?
« on: March 12, 2019, 12:24:12 pm »
I'd like to know if you have any experience about covering a twin blade pickup (like the Chopper) with a plastic cover that is completely closed, I mean without the usual 2 cuttings of a standard pickup plastic cover with the two blades coming out.
I have a guitar with 2 nice pickup covers (similar to wood) and I'd like to keep them, putting a new pickup under them. I'd like to try the Satch Track in the bridge and the Fast Track 1 in the neck position.

Because of this closed covers, I guess that the pickup could be a little farer from the strings, even if I will remove its standard plastic cover (the one with Dimarzio logo on it), because with it, the pickup would be a little too large to fit into my "wood-colored" covers.

Do you know what impact I could have on the sound with a closed cover made of plastic?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: What happens if I put a cover on a blade pickup?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:16:42 pm »
The only thing that might happen is that you might lose some output as the pickup would end up being a bit further away from the strings. The plastic shouldn't affect much else.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Bodeanicus

• View Profile
Re: What happens if I put a cover on a blade pickup?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:12:52 pm »
You get an EMG pickup. All the old original black covered EMG's are rail pickups under the cover. So are the original Firebird pickups. They're all based on Bill Lawrence's designs (Bill designed the Firebird pickup.)

On a side note, Firebird minis sound fantastic in a Strat.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk