Gravity Storm and RG550 Wiring Help

• 6 Replies

Offline aftrshok99

• View Profile
« on: March 09, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
Hey everyone, I just got a new Ibanez Genisis RG550 and also picked up some Gravity Storm pickups. I kept the original middle pick and wired the guitar this way.

Gravity Storm pickups: black + white wires taped together, red to correct positions on the switch.
Left the middle pickup wired as it was from the factory.

My issue seems to be that when you switch to positions 2 & 4 the pickups sound thin and aren't usable at all.
Position 2 should be bridge + middle
Position 4 should be neck + middle

I used this diagram.

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/RG270%2C350-3hb.pdf

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong? The neck, bridge and middle all sound fine on their own. Could the cap on the volume pot be causing this?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:45:54 PM by aftrshok99 »

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »
Sounds like you need a rwrp middle pup.

That said, I’m no expert but I’d start by looking into that.

Somebody else may be of more help but I think you need to flip the middle pickup wires. (Hot/ground)

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Gravity Storm and RG550 Wiring Help
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »
Your middle pickup is just out of phase with your bridge and neck pickup. The easiest way to fix it should be to switch the hot and ground wire on your middle pickup. Put the wire that is currently going to ground to the hot switch lug and the wire currently going to the hot switch lug to ground on the back of the pot. Should fix it.

Offline Audiowonderland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 08:23:10 PM »
Hey everyone, I just got a new Ibanez Genisis RG550 and also picked up some Gravity Storm pickups. I kept the original middle pick and wired the guitar this way.

Gravity Storm pickups: black + white wires taped together, red to correct positions on the switch.
Left the middle pickup wired as it was from the factory.

My issue seems to be that when you switch to positions 2 & 4 the pickups sound thin and aren't usable at all.
Position 2 should be bridge + middle
Position 4 should be neck + middle

I used this diagram.

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/RG270%2C350-3hb.pdf

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong? The neck, bridge and middle all sound fine on their own. Could the cap on the volume pot be causing this?

Position two is one coil of bridge and middle. Position four is one coil off neck and middle.

Offline aftrshok99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:31:58 PM »
Your middle pickup is just out of phase with your bridge and neck pickup. The easiest way to fix it should be to switch the hot and ground wire on your middle pickup. Put the wire that is currently going to ground to the hot switch lug and the wire currently going to the hot switch lug to ground on the back of the pot. Should fix it.

That's what it was!!

Thanks everyone for the help!!  8)

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
I was just about to suggest flipping the hot and ground on your middle pickup but it looks like someone beat me to it!

Glad to hear it worked out for you :)
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:52:36 AM »
Somebody else may be of more help but I think you need to flip the middle pickup wires. (Hot/ground)

He got it first :)
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b