DiMarzio Humbucker Phase Reverse with Schaller Megaswitch S

• 1 Replies

archmind

DiMarzio Humbucker Phase Reverse with Schaller Megaswitch S
« on: April 12, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
Greetings all,

I've been struggling to wire my guitar correctly for a while now and I'm getting quite frustrated.

Situation is this: H-S-H configuration. DiMarzio Liquifire (N), True Velvet (M), Crunch Lab (B). I bought a Schaller Megaswitch S, because I thought it'll be easier to wire up in my desired configuration, however I'm starting to think that is far from the case.

What I want is what Schaller refer to the HSH3 setup:

You can find their wiring description here -> https://schaller.info/en/megaswitch-s. If you CMD/CTRL + F and search for HSH3 you'll scroll directly to the part where they explain how the wiring should be done.

Now my problem is that by following their guide at least 1 pickup sounds out of phase. I even reversed my Liquifire (which I know it's bad) to achieve their SN-N-NS polarity order and still there was hum and things didn't sound right. I desoldered everything and now I'm testing everything step by step to eliminate the possibility of bad pots / jacks / pickups. I wired the CrunchLab and the volume knob, hum was gone but the pickup is out of phase (or at least sounds that way). I have it wired exactly as they described and still the humbucker sounded thin and fizzy. I'm assuming these are the proper hot / cold wires per coil:

I'd appreciate any help. What shall I do in order to reverse the phase of the pickup to see whether that will improve things.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 12:58:47 PM by archmind »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: DiMarzio Humbucker Phase Reverse with Schaller Megaswitch S
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 05:45:39 AM »
It's almost 6am and I just got home from work so maybe I'm reading this wrong but if you wired up the Crunchlab directly to the volume control and it still sounds out of phase, something else is wrong. Either there's something wrong with the pickup or there's something else wrong down the line. Try wiring the pickup directly to the volume pot and test it in a couple of different amps. If you're getting the same result in multiple amps, it's likely a faulty pickup.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter