DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

Best humbucker for both cleans and dirt?

(1/3) > >>

jazzfromhell:
Hey guys!
I'm wondering which you consider to be the 2 pickups (neck and bridge) that has the nicest clean AND dirty sounds in the Dimarzio lineup, ie if you both want to play EVH riffs with maximum authority and get the most beautiful clean sounds possible, and also great split sounds. The perfect pair. What would it be?

Cheers,
/Kristian

darkbluemurder:
Impossible to answer. Every player, rig and guitar is different so even with the answers limited to two full size humbucker set ups, impossible. Good versatile full size combos I use(d) are (bridge, neck):

AT-1, Bluesbucker (both splitable)
Steve Morse bridge, Breed neck
Super Distortion, Breed neck

Since I do not really like full size humbuckers in the neck spot, one of my favorite combinations is a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge and a DiMarzio Vintage Mini neck (DP 240) in a telecaster. The wiring is set up for the following combinations: bridge series (for overdriven rock tones), bridge parallel (for the country, chicken pickin' and other clean tones), bridge series + neck (full clean tones), bridge parallel + neck (funky cleans and biting overdriven blues tones), neck (sounds great for both clean and overdriven tones). Very versatile yet easy to operate. I am afraid my playing capabilities and imagination are more limited in versatility than the guitar.

Cheers Stephan

jazzfromhell:
Of course, I realize there's no one answer. Just wondering what people use if they have a guitar that "does it all". Not talking all the way from clean jazz to djent; more pop, hard/rock, blues, funk, soul.

Im really looking for a bridge pickup and a neck pickup that can pull off great cleans as well as distorted sounds. Not death metal distorted, but up to say, Van Halen.

I really like the Duncan Custom 5 and the 59 so I might go with them but I'm curious about if DMZ has similar pickups.

Strangeman86:
While acknowledging the highly subjective nature of all things guitar, I tend to enjoy the Imperium when I want a Dimarzio that does clean AND dirty with equal aplomb. 

jazzfromhell:
Wow, 71 views and only 2 answers.
Must mean Dimarzio doesnt make a pickup that handles both clean and dirt equally well  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version