Conquering 60 cycle hum

• 9 Replies

BluesJam

Conquering 60 cycle hum
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:04:39 PM »
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/eq-conquer-hum/

This is an interesting article.  I wonder if single coil pickup designs and frequency response reduce 60 cycle hum if wound to a specific frequencies.  From my experience, overwound DiMarzio singles have less hum than my Fender vintage wound singles.  Devices like HumX also help with issues.  Luckily, I don’t experience electrical 60 cycle hum from the electrical outlets.  I used it years ago and it helped with a problematic guitar.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Conquering 60 cycle hum
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 06:02:42 PM »
Thanks for posting that. I'm sure it'll help some people here.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 03:58:19 AM »
Cutting low end in a guitar tone is beneficial in a band setting anyway - low end is the bass player's job.

Nevertheless, sometimes the playing venues are so hummy that I doubt that this helps. I had that problem in two different venues when I gigged with a country rock band. My main guitar was a strat, and it was equipped with Lollar Specials at that time. Loved the sound but had an unbearable hum when I used overdrive of any sort. We tried everything, including using a different amplifier - no luck. it was only after I set the pickup selector switch to #2 I noticed that the hum was gone (middle pickup RWRP). So out went the pickups for noiseless ones, and no problems ever since. I happily trade the extra 5% of tone for 100% of useability.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
Cutting low end in a guitar tone is beneficial in a band setting anyway - low end is the bass player's job.

I couldn't agree more. I really never thought about eqing out 60 cycle hum. Really no different than what a soundman would do for feedback with mics. hmm....
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »

I couldn't agree more. I really never thought about eqing out 60 cycle hum. Really no different than what a soundman would do for feedback with mics. hmm....
I've tried it, but the amount you have to EQ to get the hum to chill out completely kills the tone IMO. It's not just 60hz, it's 60 and every other octave too. Less problematic clean, but the minute you start adding dirt it becomes impractical in the best of scenarios.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
I've tried it, but the amount you have to EQ to get the hum to chill out completely kills the tone IMO. It's not just 60hz, it's 60 and every other octave too. Less problematic clean, but the minute you start adding dirt it becomes impractical in the best of scenarios.

You nailed it there - that is exactly what happens if the hum source is from lights or similar heavy radiating sources. If it only were the 60 hz hum then the low end trick would work but from these sources it is all octaves of 60 hz which results in a super nasty buzz. And most of the time you cannot escape it by turning around or stepping aside because the radiating field is so large compared to normal environment. These dodging remedies are impractical anyway if you also have to sing in the band and are "tied" to the microphone.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
As Paul Harvey used to so eloquently put it,"And now you have................The rest of the story".
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

BluesJam

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »
Many people just turn down the volume to reduce hum. Obviously, you cannot get rid of all types on interference, but a moderate reduction would be tremendous.  The HS designs are humbucker, but when split in single coil mode they are much quieter than a traditional single coil.  Perhaps the RW shunt coil and shielded spacer between the coils makes a difference.  The HS in single coil has a nice sound, but you need to boost the amp volume.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:14:55 PM by BluesJam »

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »
I just go noiseless single coil. There are too many that really capture that single coil vibe without the noise to warrant dealing with it otherwise.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »
I just go noiseless single coil. There are too many that really capture that single coil vibe without the noise to warrant dealing with it otherwise.
Honestly, me too. I'm not attached enough to "vintage" or "single-coil" to justify the hassle. It just has to sound good.