Keeley KE-808 (Red Dirt Pro)

• 4 Replies

Strangeman86

Keeley KE-808 (Red Dirt Pro)
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:18 AM »
If you haven't guessed/realized by now, yes, this is a tube screamer variant.  The proverbial cat being out of the bag, on to my thoughts...

I have sampled many a fancy screamer, but this one rises to the top.  While you certainly get the airy/singy midrange (it's thick and pronounced but not overbearing in most cases), you also get a very full low end and an extra smooth high end.  My favorite aspect of this circuit, however, is that the typical 'clean blend' texture that nearly all TS's and their ilk exhibit when played on a CLEAN channel is nearly non-existent.  Pick attack is not stifled and while there is some mild compression it cleans up with a volume knob as well as or better than anything out there.  My only complaint is that I wasn't able to get one in the purple finish (mine is 808 green, but it's #28 and signed by Mr. Keeley). 

Is this pedal breaking any new ground?  Not really.  But it feels/plays like a very refined and completed idea that makes me smile and want to play more. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:17:54 AM by Strangeman86 »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Keeley KE-808 (Red Dirt Pro)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »
that makes me smile and want to play more.

That's what counts.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »
Is this pedal breaking any new ground?  Not really.  But it feels/plays like a very refined and completed idea that makes me smile and want to play more.
[/quote]

How does it compare with something like a Fulldrive II MOSFET? I have one and this pedal always piqued my interest.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 08:55:19 AM »
I couldn't tell you how it compares unfortunately.  I've never played a fulldrive.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
Really just a hot rodded "screamer" variant with more clipping options and a gain boost.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else