Best sounding Dimarzio single coil closest to humbucker sounding!

• 8 Replies

Offline longshot

• View Profile
Hi Everyone,
Been away for awhile but need some help or recommendations on the best sounding single coil size Dimarzio pickups that are closest to humbucker sound.
For all positions for my strat,(not twin blades either).
Just a nice fat,full sounding not thin,hollow,quacky like most single coils.
Wanna stick with Dimarzio to,had some in mind but want to see what others are using.
Thanx alot for help. :)

marcwormjim

Re: Best sounding Dimarzio single coil closest to humbucker sounding
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:32:09 AM »
Do you have a particular recording or other manufacturer’s pickup as a point of reference?

The SDS-1, Seymour Duncan SSL-4, and some choices from BKP are beefy singles. If you want no “quack” at all, then the hotter the better.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:35:19 AM by marcwormjim »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Best sounding Dimarzio single coil closest to humbucker sounding!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:57:19 AM »
The closest single coil sized DiMarzio pickups sounding like a full size humbucker that I used so far were dual rails: the Super Distortion S and the Chopper. Chopper sounds PAF-ish, Super Distortion S is more like a medium output humbucker with more midrange and low end to it. There are more but these are the ones I used.

If you do not want dual rail pickups the next closest would be the SDS-1 which has a bit of P90 flavor but it is not humcancelling. Virtual Solo would be good for the bridge but that is an overwound single coil tone, still very stratty and humbucker-unlike. No idea how it would work in the other positions. Injector neck for neck and middle would also be quite quacky and stratty, especially with a 500k volume pot.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline longshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »
Those are good suggestions,was thinking of hs2,hs3,hs4 ones,like the smooth,glassiness sound of them,
in single coil wiring,like Eric johnsons.
Heard a bridge cruiser in neck spot with 500 pots to,sounded good.
Undecided.
Looking for all postions but mostly for neck spot as thats what I play the most.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
I absolutely love the bridge cruiser in the neck position. Its one of the few pickups that's never been changed out once I had it installed in a guitar. Would highly recommend it if you want something that's got the smooth bell-like tonality.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline longshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 05:05:21 PM »
Yeh Im seriously considering the cruiser,do you know what would make a good match in middle and bridge
spots?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 04:01:43 AM »
Cruiser in the neck position is great. I just set up one of my teles to have a Cruiser (neck) in the neck and an Area Hot T in the bridge. 250k volume pot but the Cruiser sounds fine with it in that guitar. Cruiser bridge works well in the neck, too. Chopper bridge would work well with it. For middle, either another Cruiser bridge or a Fast Track 1.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »
I don't think alot of people are aware of SatchTrack sound pretty much like a humbucker but having dynamics of a single coil. Even though it's designed for neck, it sounds equally as good in middle as well as bridge, with lower power middle and neck in a set.

Offline longshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »
After going back and forth on all these I decided on the Dimarzio HS pickups,
Im doing HS2 neck, HS4 mid, HS3 bridge.
Thanx again for all the suggestions and help.