True Velvet Middle issue with hi E string

• 4 Replies

Offline Angelectrico25

• View Profile
True Velvet Middle issue with hi E string
« on: February 02, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
Hi! I installed a True Velvet Middle pickup on an Ibanez RG570 and while I love the sound of it, I have an issue with it: the first string (hi E) has a lot less volume and presence than the other 5 strings, I almost can not hear the string in the mix while playing with my band, with the old stock pickup S1 all the strings had the same volume and the hi E was really clear and presente, now I can't hear it as clearly as before, so my question Is: Can I move the polepieces up or down to try to solve this? Or not? I love the pickup so I don't want to change it for another, so I hope that there's a solution for this.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:01:51 PM by Angelectrico25 »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: True Velvet Middle issue with hi E string
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »
I would definitely NOT try to move the polepieces in a single coil pickup. The reason is that most single coils have the magnets stuck in the base, a layer of tape around them to isolate them from the magnet wire, which is then wrapped around the magnets. Moving the magnets can cause the wires to break and ruin the pickup so it is not recommended.

Best to put the old pickup back or try a different one. BTW: does the 1st string move exactly over the polepiece?

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Angelectrico25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
Thanks, the thing is that I never liked the sound of the old pickup, so for now I will have to live with it and then when I have the money try another one.

I don't know if I understand your question about the string moving exactly over de pole piece, do you mean if it is perfectly aligned? Then yes it is.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:48:43 PM »
I have moved the polepieces up and down in Fender pickups many times over the years. I have never tried it with Dimarzio pickups and I don't know how their construction differs. I usually heat the polepiece up slightly by touching it with a soldering iron to loosen the wax, then press on it with the handle of a small screwdriver. I've never had a problem with it, but that does not mean I was not just lucky with the pickups I used.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 04:20:09 AM »
I don't know if I understand your question about the string moving exactly over de pole piece, do you mean if it is perfectly aligned? Then yes it is.

Correct, and thanks for the answer.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b