DiMarzio X2N

• 4 Replies

Offline Wouter92

• View Profile
DiMarzio X2N
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:32:16 AM »
Hello everyone :D! I'm new to this forum.

I have a question, if anyone could help me it'd be great.

The situation:
I bought 3 DiMarzio pickups: an X2N, 'The chopper' S and an Air Norton S.
X2N -> bridge
The Chopper S -> Middle
Air Norton S -> Neck

The guitar has one volume knob and one tone knob. It's a Jackson PS2 performer series from 1996 I believe.

I wired all pickups correctly (and the same way) and followed the manual from the DiMarzio website (4 conductor wiring). Red wire goes to hot, black and white soldered together and taped up, green and bare wires go to ground.

Unfortunately I don't get any sound out of the X2N on the clean channel of my amp. I do hear a very weak signal when I'm in the distortion channel though. The other pickups work fine.

Question:

Did I solder something wrong here? Or is it possible the 5-way switch (import type) is burnt or something? Because the lug where the X2N's hot wire goes to looks pretty brown and smoked up.

I also added a picture of the situation.

Thanks in advance! ;) I hope I posted this in the right thread! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings

Wouter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DiMarzio X2N
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:45:33 AM »
Hi,

First of all, this is the correct subforum to post.

The picture is difficult to spot. I would first resolder the connection - even though I am quite experienced I sometimes do not get the connections as good as they should be. Reflowing the solder normally fixes this.

Do you have a digital multimeter? If not, you should get one. They are cheap but invaluable for troubleshooting guitar wiring problems.

Put the selector switch in the position that activates the X2N. When you measure between the lug where the X2N is connected to and the volume pot input you should get a reading of zero ohms. If not, the switch is broken.

If you get zero ohms, measure between the lug where the X2N is connected to and ground (e.g. the back of a pot). You should get 15k to 16k ohms. If not, the pickup is defect.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Wouter92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 04:54:43 AM »
Hi! :D

Thank you for your quick respons. I will test this!

I'll also give an update.

Greetings from Belgium

Wouter
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:56:19 AM by Wouter92 »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
Put the selector switch in the position that activates the X2N. When you measure between the lug where the X2N is connected to and the volume pot input you should get a reading of zero ohms. If not, the switch is broken.

I forgot to mention: in that case the wire between the switch output and volume pot could also be the culprit but we can rule that out as you said your other two pickups work fine.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Wouter92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »
My father had a multimeter laying around. He has some knowledge of electronics as well. We saw on the multimeter (like you said) that the switch in the bridge position was broken.

I immediately bought a new switch, all fixed!

Thanks alot for the good help!

Greetings

Wouter
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:19:44 PM by Wouter92 »