Illuminator

• 4 Replies

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
Illuminator
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »
Howdy,

Been searching locally for used one for ages since I want to try it but no luck... I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and just ordering new one. I have several questions for you, my tone loving buddies.

Anyone tried the set (specially the bridge) in a singlecut? This would go into LP Special I just picked up, it's a non-maple top, all mahogany.

If someone did, what kind of sound is it? I have tons of Super Dees and Evo2 and two guitars with 36th anny in the bridge positions, and usually either Paf Pros or 36th anny in the necks of those guitars... how would Illuminators compare? Usually, I'm looking for a big modern PAF-inspired kind of sound - crunchy and bold, with a bit of hair in it's presence/treble, but not ear fatigue. If that makes any sense.

Ideally, if someone put it into the Gibson, how did it compare to the stock 498T? Illuminators on paper, sound like a similar thing to 498T and maybe a Duncan Custom.

Lastly, for those that had them, how long did they survive in your guitar before being swapped out?   :P

Thanks and cheers

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Illuminator
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
It’s more open sounding that the CL/LF set. I like the set a lot.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
It’s more open sounding that the CL/LF set. I like the set a lot.

That is good to hear, CL was a bit bloated in the low mids, and LF I thought was a bit too compressed for my liking. Of course, imho.

So far so good.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:11:09 PM »
I go into more detail on my site.

Of the complete sets, the Dominion and the Illuminator and the Titan are in my Top 5 DiMarzios. For different purposes, of course.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:17 AM »
Oh yeah, I read it, like many of your other reviews. Thanks for that.

I was specifically looking into getting some feedback of putting these bad boys to short scale singlecut all-mahogany guitar, like the Les Paul, because let's face it Petrucci's Music Man fiddles sound a bit different to your average Gibson LP out there.  :)