Author Topic: Talk me out of the PAF Master neck  (Read 610 times)

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
Re: Talk me out of the PAF Master neck
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 01:57:19 am »
Hi Dave!
Satriani used to use two PAF Pro pickups in his guitars. Searching for more mids/output out of the PAF Pro in the bridge, then came the FRED.  It was Joe's combination until the invention of the PAF Joe (instead of PAF Pro), and the Mo' Joe (for the bridge). It will work just fine. The PAF Pro ain't a high output beast as presented in the specs.

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 11:00:10 am »
Thanks for that.  My gut was telling me when I started thinking about replacing the AN that I should maybe try the Fred in the neck with either another Fred in the bridge or a Norton. The Mo Joe was a possibility but  the Norton seems more alive vs the Mo Joe. That is where I am going at this point, Fred in the neck.

Offline Schneidas

• The sun don't shine on the sea of MAAADNEEEEEESSS!
    • View Profile
    • Schneidas' Myspace page
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 03:07:00 am »
Sorry I'm late to this, but if you still have the Air Norton around, you can try a small mod:
Remove the brass plate (just unscrew the 4 screws) and use a small screwdriver to remove the sides of the sticky tape that is on the brass plate. When you open up the Air Norton you'll see the magnet and 2 plastic rings on each side.
Just remove the 2 plastic rings of the screw coils with a small screwdriver (they're not glued in there, just being held in place by the wax potting) and then push the magnet onto the screws. The magnet will be held in place there by magnetic attraction with the screws. You now de-aired the screw coil of the Air Norton. It is now a Half-Air Norton. Screw the brass plate back on and you're done.

I did this to mine and it had a huge improvement on its tone for my taste.
Much more definition, less of that flutey-ness and more output. In fact the tone now reminds me of a higher output version of the old discontinued PAF (Dp103 - the Pre-36th). I also disconnected the tone pot to give it an even sharper attack - so it's wired only to the 500k volume pot and it has really made a difference with this pickup. The mush is gone for me and I got definition back.

I previously had the Air Norton flipped in the neck position but after this mod, I found that the Half-Air'd Norton sound much more like a good neck pickup if you install it the traditional way. Makes sense, since the screw coil is now the powerful coil - so if you put it closer to the neck it sounds more "neck-like" - if you flip it, it sounds like it has a bit of "middle-position" sound mixed in.

Anyway, sorry about the lame sound description - but just thought I'd share that finding with you, as I also was about to sell the Air Norton until I figured to do a bit of modding to see if I can fix the issues it had to me. I'm super happy with my Half-Air Norton now.

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 12:56:32 pm »
Thanks for the mod ideas on the AN.  I think I really want to try the Fred in the neck.  As I play it more and listen more critically to the guitar in general I think I'd like to try something else in the bridge. I really like the Fred, but at least in my guitar with my rig it's got a bit more of that cocked wah sound than I'd ideally want, if I am using the correct term for the sound I am hearing.  Hoping either the Norton or Mo Joe has less.