2019 new models

• 35 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 new models
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 03:31:10 AM »
I still don't get it but then I am not doing marketing as my main profession.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »
I still don't get it but then I am not doing marketing as my main profession.

I definitely would love to work at Dimarzio's Marketing Department.
Sadly no openings for that. :(
So much that can be done...

Offline PaulLester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
Dream Catcher and Rain Maker are John Pettruci signatures? :D Since they are both in 6 and 7 string , they should be JPs? At least they are super high gain since they are in 7 string.

And this one:

Vintage P90 w/ full size hum cover
DP286

Is this like Bluesbucker? P90 in humbucker format like Bluesbucker or?

Actually, they are like Virtual P90 upgrade. xD So .... Sry, my bad.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:13:21 AM by PaulLester »

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 04:30:25 PM »
Dream Catcher and Rain Maker are John Pettruci signatures? :D Since they are both in 6 and 7 string , they should be JPs? At least they are super high gain since they are in 7 string.

Yes, they are, from a video of Petrucci, he says they are a refined version of the Illuminators, so probably similar output. I'm really looking forward to those personally.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 12:14:31 AM »

Actually, they are like Virtual P90 upgrade. xD So .... Sry, my bad.

How do you know?  Is there info out there somewhere?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 05:33:41 PM »
DiMarzio needs a LOT of help with marketing. Yet they seem to suggest they have been happy with their game plan.

Based on previous years, they mention things at NAMM that might not show up for a few, or even several months. They are not the only one that does that. Keep your pantyhose on.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:07 AM »
Based on previous years, they mention things at NAMM that might not show up for a few, or even several months.

I can only speak for myself. If it were my business I would only say something like "yes, we planned to release some new models this year - stay tuned" when I am not sure of when I actually will be able to release the products. From the OP's post it seems like the new models have already names and numbers which would lead me to conclude they are set and ready to go to market. At such a stage I cannot think of any reason not to put them to market - otherwise it does not make any sense to divulge model names and numbers to the public. You only run the risk that public interest wanes after the initial heads up.

But - as I said I am by no means a marketing expert - maybe this IS good marketing and I just don't understand it.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »

But - as I said I am by no means a marketing expert - maybe this IS good marketing and I just don't understand it.

Cheers Stephan

No, it isn't, and you understand it fine. 

You can make a great product, and be destroyed by bad marketing.  Can you say "Hamer"?

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 04:14:59 PM »
Based on previous years, they mention things at NAMM that might not show up for a few, or even several months.

I can only speak for myself. If it were my business I would only say something like "yes, we planned to release some new models this year - stay tuned" when I am not sure of when I actually will be able to release the products. From the OP's post it seems like the new models have already names and numbers which would lead me to conclude they are set and ready to go to market. At such a stage I cannot think of any reason not to put them to market - otherwise it does not make any sense to divulge model names and numbers to the public. You only run the risk that public interest wanes after the initial heads up.

DiMarzio needs a LOT of help with marketing. Yet they seem to suggest they have been happy with their game plan.

Based on previous years, they mention things at NAMM that might not show up for a few, or even several months. They are not the only one that does that. Keep your pantyhose on.

I have an MBA in Marketing and common sense can tell that Dimarzio's marketing has many faults. Once a product is announced, a teaser, and some (or all) product information should be released to support that announcement. Look! This year we have a Phil Collen Signature Pickup, new Petrucci sets, and some other pickups. What we got? The guys from Polyphia. The guys from who? I even had to Youtube them. They seemed like a bunch of nobodies to me, so I had to research them. That's bad!  You need to launch a product, announcing and promoting WHO they're, and what kind of benefits (tones) we can get out of their products. We also need videos, and audio clips where we can hear the pickups in action.
Dimarzio definitely needs a re-marketing campaign, and a new approach to their products launch.

Offline jule7625

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »
Any further information re the Fantom P90s?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 04:37:41 AM »
At least not on the website. It shows the Dreamcatcher and Rainmaker as the latest new models, then the Polyphia signature models.

Cheers Stephan

BluesJam

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
DiMarzio may have poor marketing, but Larry does take  some great pictures🤔

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »
If you looked at the marketing from the competition, it would appear, not be an actuality, but would appear that other pickup manufacturers are just the boon of r&d and they have all of these new pickups that will do everything but pick you up (pun intended) from the airport. While Dimarzio announces a few new sets with a couple of guys that I had to Google (just like someone else mentioned).

In this competitive world you really DO have to work to keep your name out there. Otherwise the perception is that your product has become irrelevant no matter how opposite the case may be.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO RELEASE INFO ON THE FANTOM 90S???
Getting to the point the Mojotone Quiet Coil P90s are a little darker/not as 'open'/raw as I'd like; I have them in my Epi ES-339. (any other solidbody and I'd likely use regular soapbars and the Ilitch system).

Thinking about Kinmans, but holding off until I know more about these new DiMs.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2019, 04:33:21 AM »
Getting to the point the Mojotone Quiet Coil P90s are a little darker/not as 'open'/raw as I'd like; I have them in my Epi ES-339. (any other solidbody and I'd likely use regular soapbars and the Ilitch system).

Thinking about Kinmans, but holding off until I know more about these new DiMs.

Interestingly I came to the same conclusion on the Mojotone Quiet Coil P90. I have a neck version. While it is quiet, to me it lacks high mids and openness. I have a Kinman Sweet Clean P90 in a different guitar (I guess this is now the High Def model but I am not sure) which is better in that regard but costs a lot more. Even though the pickups are not in the same guitar, the guitar with the Mojotone is the brighter guitar, and yet with the pickup it sounds duller.

Cheers Stephan