2019 new models

• 35 Replies

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
Re: 2019 new models
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2019, 09:36:40 PM »
Interestingly I came to the same conclusion on the Mojotone Quiet Coil P90. I have a neck version. While it is quiet, to me it lacks high mids and openness. I have a Kinman Sweet Clean P90 in a different guitar (I guess this is now the High Def model but I am not sure) which is better in that regard but costs a lot more. Even though the pickups are not in the same guitar, the guitar with the Mojotone is the brighter guitar, and yet with the pickup it sounds duller.

Got an idea to add a 220K or 270K resistor to ground on the 500K tone pots, extending the range to around 750K. Will do that this weekend if I have the time.
Figured that would be cheaper/quicker than opting for a whole new set.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »

Got an idea to add a 220K or 270K resistor to ground on the 500K tone pots, extending the range to around 750K. Will do that this weekend if I have the time.
Figured that would be cheaper/quicker than opting for a whole new set.

Doesn't work like that.   If you add a resistor to lift it off ground, you're just setting a minimum level equivalent to that resistor.  A tone pot is wired as a rheostat, i.e. just a variable resistor.   Better bet is to use no load or 1M tone.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »

Interestingly I came to the same conclusion on the Mojotone Quiet Coil P90. I have a neck version. While it is quiet, to me it lacks high mids and openness. I have a Kinman Sweet Clean P90 in a different guitar (I guess this is now the High Def model but I am not sure) which is better in that regard but costs a lot more. Even though the pickups are not in the same guitar, the guitar with the Mojotone is the brighter guitar, and yet with the pickup it sounds duller.

Cheers Stephan

Have a set of mojotones I haven't installed yet.  No opinion on sound, but essentially the quiet coil design is a firebird type pickup. 

The Kinman 90s all got sold because in the end, they didn't feel right.  They were missing something in the high presence range which tended to squelch pick attack, which is a no-go for me since I do a lot of fast picked stuff.  They made the guitar 'feel' very stiff and unresponsive to that type of playing.  They might work for you if you don't do that.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2019, 04:13:53 AM »
Even though I am not a fast player by any means (in fact I am rather challenged to play fast - some pieces I had to play in the country rock band got me on and sometimes over the edge of my abilities) I noticed that with some pickups I had the exact same feeling you described - as if a handbrake was put on my hands. No such effect with these Kinmans but then again I am not going that fast.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 07:31:11 AM »
Bumping this since the DiMarzio site is currently 'under maintenance'.

Wondering if they're adding the Fantom 90?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »
The support site is under maintenance. The rest works - at least with my PC.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b