New pickup setup for my strat

• 3 Replies

Offline ozgur

• View Profile
New pickup setup for my strat
« on: November 22, 2019, 12:40:23 AM »
I am heavy metal player with my Fender Stratocasters and I've been using Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbuckers. One of my guitar has everything axe set and the other one has Hotrails set.

I want to change both of my guitars' pickup configuration to H-S-S setup.

My idea is to put Super Distortion to the bridge and Virtual Solo for the middle and the neck position for my nr. 1 guitar.

For the 2nd guitar; I'm planning to put Paf Pro for the bridge and Virtual Vintage Blues for the middle and the neck position.

Now I have 2 questions.

1) How does it sound for you to use these setups ? I'm open to alternative recommendations.

2) Which pots do you recommend ? 250 or 500 K...

Thanks in advance.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New pickup setup for my strat
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »
Super Distortion may overpower the Virtual Solo pair but on the other hand I have a strat with Norton in the bridge and an Injector neck pair which balance fine - so did the AT-1 which I had in there before so it may work OK. I would use 500k pots with these pickups. 

PAF Pro in the bridge is fine - I liked the guitar which had one very much (no longer have it though). Any traditional lower output single would work well with it. I would go a bit lower than the Virtual Vintage Blues and choose Virtual Vintage 54 Pros instead. I would use 250k pots with these pickups.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline MW-AB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
The Super Distortion is a fantastic pickup but I have tried the "S" sized version and found it not as good as the full sized version.
I do not believe I am the only person who feels this way.
I would recommend you acquire an HSS pickguard cut for a full size bucker at the bridge.
I suggest the Kinman H7 harness.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »
The Super Distortion is a fantastic pickup but I have tried the "S" sized version and found it not as good as the full sized version.
I do not believe I am the only person who feels this way.

Fully agree - I had a Super Distortion S in a SSS configuration with two Injector necks and did not like it at all - not enough power, too nasal midrange. The only plus was that it sounded good split together with the middle Injector. Replaced it with a Chopper I had leftover from another project but still don't like it - the Injectors blow it away tonally and feel-wise as well.

I would recommend you acquire an HSS pickguard cut for a full size bucker at the bridge.

If I understood the OP correctly he wanted to go for HSS with both guitars so he may already have the pickguards.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b