An Injector Bridge model for an Yngwie tone?

• 6 Replies

Offline 357mag

• View Profile
An Injector Bridge model for an Yngwie tone?
« on: January 19, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
I'm using some presets on my POD HD Pro X which pretty much give me the Yngwie tone. I have tried the Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 but what I noticed about that pickup is it sounds like sandpaper. It has kind of a raspy, abrasive tone which leaves me scratching my head.

I was thinking of trying the Injector Bridge. Never owned one of those.

Do you think that would keep me in the ballpark for Yngwie tones? I don't want to sound like Paul Gilbert.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: An Injector Bridge model for an Yngwie tone?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:22:50 PM »
If I wanted to sound like Yngwie and not Paul Gilbert, I would buy a set of Yngwie pickups and not Paul Gilbert pickups.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/yjm-fury-strat-set

marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
He’s already using the Fury:

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,7042.0.html

Do you think that would keep me in the ballpark for Yngwie tones? I don't want to sound like Paul Gilbert.

I’d be so disappointed if a new pickup made me suddenly play as well and sound as good as Paul Gilbert.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:23:03 PM by marcwormjim »

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 01:55:38 AM »
imho yngwies tone is nothing hard to get. Just a plain good classic alnico single coil in the neck would do the trick. And with the appropriate shielding/correct direction, being a little lean on distortion, noise gate, would help deal with the noise.
I got some cheap pups set from aliexpress, and I managed to get better tones than with the HS-3. Depends also on the rig heavily.

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:41:08 AM »
I'm using some presets on my POD HD Pro X which pretty much give me the Yngwie tone. I have tried the Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 but what I noticed about that pickup is it sounds like sandpaper. It has kind of a raspy, abrasive tone which leaves me scratching my head.

I was thinking of trying the Injector Bridge. Never owned one of those.

Malmsteen helped develop the Injectors before jumping ships to Duncan afaik he never really played them. I do know he played HS3, HS4 and FS1 models. In turn, Gilbert did use Injectors and at a certain time, he developed his own sound around these pickups.

If you have Furys, then you basically got Yngwie's sound, all the DMZs he used will get you some of his tones as well. I have a mexican strat with 3x FS1 and have no trouble getting Yngwie sound, so it's definitely true that - like the gentleman before me said - his tones aren't so picky about the pickup, it's more in his amps which he dimes out and obviously his hands.

HTH

Offline 357mag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 04:36:58 AM »
I have the FS-1 and I like it. But am interested in more humbuckers that keep me in the Yngwie ballpark. I think the Injector would definitely be worth a try.

Offline mystique1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 04:55:40 AM »
No experience with the Injector, but I've used the Virtual Solo for years, which is supposed to be a similar pup, and it gives me great smooth overdrive tones, nothing "raspy", at all.