Alnico 3 Magnet Fred or Breed Neck

• 3 Replies

Offline RG1XXV

• View Profile
Alnico 3 Magnet Fred or Breed Neck
« on: January 19, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
I was considering installing a Fred in the neck of my Ibanez RG with Edge Trem but swapping the A5 magnet for an A3 just to help lower the output a little for the neck position and potentially sweeten up any potential boomyness... What do you guys think ?  I have an A3 magnet and I'd love to use it wisely (& I believe it belongs in a neck pickup as it is Low output and Sweet).

I still want to keep the sweet 'awwwww' Mid-spike  and harmonics however so I hope it won't remove the singing characteristic of FRED...

On the other hand I also have a Breed Neck that I could install the A3 mag in to help tame boomyness and sheer output.

OR should I just ditch the A3 mag idea and just perform the half air mod instead ??
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:57:47 AM by RG1XXV »

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
Re: Alnico 3 Magnet Fred or Breed Neck
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:26:29 PM »
A3 is, to my ears, the weakest in output of the magnets I ever tried. It makes any pickup sound very vintage, and adds a sweet treble on top. A3 is probably the best magnet for clean humbucker playing specifically, if you're after great balanced vintage tones with a sparkling treble on top.

So if you want to tame some boomyness, don't mind some treble on top, yeah, for sure give it a try. The one thing you will lose, however, is a portion of the A5 output, A3 is definitely much weaker magnet. You will also get a bit less squash/compression and the pickup will tend to exhibit the difference between louder and quieter picking more.

HTH

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:48:46 AM »
That looks like a very interesting option to the Breed neck I have in the neck spot of a guitar currently. It could benefit from some boominess removal, and who disagrees with sweeter highs?

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:38:15 PM »
I have an A3 magnet

Swap it out and see what you think.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram