PAF Master in strat

• 2 Replies

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
PAF Master in strat
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:56:25 PM »
Hi there guys I hope everyone is well. Well I'm back to playing around with pickups again and I have become very interested in the PAF master pickups.
One of my questions is regarding the output, with it being a low output humbucker would it balance ok with the Heavy Blues 2 single I have in the neck? I don't want a massive volume jump between the pickups. The HB2 I know has a higher DC resistance rating than the master and wondered if they would balance out ok.

Also as it's a strat which are naturally brighter instruments would the master be too bright? One thing I do love about it from what I've heard is the articulation under gain which I love as it would suit some of the complex chordal arrangements I write for my bands music. That being said I do want it to retain the girth and beefiness of a humbucker. Most of my gain comes from having a TS808 into a driven amp. Not metal but a definite classic crunch.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: PAF Master in strat
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:48 PM »
I've never used either of those pickups, but I can tell you about similar ones. I use the Fred (output:305) in the bridge of one Ibanez with an Area 61 (output:142) in the middle. There is a slight drop in volume, but nowhere near like the drop it had when I used an Area 58 (output:125) in the middle. I also have a Tone Zone (Output:375) in another Ibanez with a VV Blues (output:145) and it does not have enough volume drop between them to bother me much either. I tried a Chopper (output:260) in the middle once and it was overkill. It was like having a third humbucker, and did not leave you with interesting tones in the 2/4 position on the switch. Your VVHB2 (output:170) and PAF Master (output:278) should be even closer in volume balance.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PAF Master in strat
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 04:55:19 AM »
For what it's worth my VV HB2 in the neck spot has no problem keeping up with an AT-1 in the bridge.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b