« on: January 08, 2019, 10:07:13 AM »
Hello,
as I was doing this vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzfkxKkhb-A

I was between :
- my strat with fast tracks/chopper
- my Ibanez universe with blazes
- my carvin with Super Distortion / Air Norton S
- my kramer with EMG 81/85

I had to record in front of the laptop. And you can see there is a fairly high amount of gain. I noticed that with the Ibanez (blazes) there was no noise at all in front of the laptop, even with the noise gate set to minimum (2/10). Same with Air Norton s - no noise at all. Miraculously the EMGs were silent as well, although at the standing position - and away from the laptop- normally they are the noisiest (it happens with all 4 of my EMGs but its another story). However with the Super Distortion I had to raise the noise gate to 5 to be able to record this song, which has a lot of pauses especially at the beginning.

When standing away from the laptop the Super Distortion is quite silent. I will do more tests and measurements in the evening.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:30:06 AM by greekdude »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Super Distortion noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:22 PM »
Might be some weird EMI.

Did your tests come with any conclusive results?
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »
Might be some weird EMI.

Not weird at all. Computers put out a lot of noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:19:17 AM »
Hello,

this happens during the evenings mostly and with a fair amount of distortion, not so much a computer thing. The hum is directional. Much more annoying in series wiring rather than in parallel. In parallel it is almost 100% noiseless.

My bet is that there is something asymmetrical in this pup! Same like with EMGs. At certain orientations they hum. But no biggie.

I wonder if redoing all the wiring, new simple/normal pots (in contrast to push/pull that I have now), etc, would remedy this. I am not a particular fan of parallel wiring for super distortion or Air Norton S : complexity with just a slightly lower output, not worth it.