More surgery...

• 8 Replies

Strangeman86

More surgery...
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »
Yes, I did it again, I'm an addict and I can't leave well enough alone.  I've been playing the Imperium in my guitar ... for a while, it's pretty well tied with my favorite Duncan (a hack job) for time spent between pickup changes.  But I began to desire a slightly more even EQ with a bit more power.  So I bought an Illuminator and tried that.  A nice round-snap quality to the notes, but a bit boxy and too screamy (yes, I know, Mr. Petrucci likes those blistering leads) but the EQ was close to what I was hearing and the extra power was nice.  So into the O.R. I went... The first incarnation I tried was the screw coil (or southern coil) of the Illuminator and the northern coil of the Imperium.  NEGATIVE.  That sounded ridiculously boxy and kind of choked off if that makes sense.  So I tried the opposite (the slug or northern coil from the Illuminator and the southern coil of the Imperium).  Now we're cookin'!  This was ... mostly, what I was trying to achieve.  The low end is still very tight (as both donor pickups were already) and is, to my ears, just a hair more than the Imperium has on its own.  The mids shifted frequencies a bit (lots of that nice Dimarzio vocal quality to lead work, but it isn't really boxy like the Illuminator can be) and are backed off compared to the Imperium.  The high end is what I wanted, more than the Imperium, less than the Illuminator.  Resistance is in the 12k range, overall output sounds ... probably 350+mV?  So far, I'm enjoying the fruits of my labors, but more to follow.  Happy mod'ing to all!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:09:52 AM by Strangeman86 »

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
Re: More surgery...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:51:53 AM »
+1 Karma
7 String: Blaze, Illuminator, IBZ
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.
Single: Fast Track 2, VV Heavy Blues 2, Injector, ISCV2, HS2, Cruiser
P.S. I only use Dimarzio pickups :P

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »
Love your Frankenstein experiments!

I going to call your new Frankenpickup the "Imperminator"
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
A quick update, this crazy 'stein likes to be closer to the strings.  Also, I think the output is probably closer to 375+mV, although I have no way to measure this.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:24:26 AM »
I going to call your new Frankenpickup the "Imperminator"

Great name for a pickup!

To OP: many thanks for sharing your experimental results.

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:27:41 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Strangeman86

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
Not a problem!  I always think that if nothing else, someone can learn from my foolishness.  So far I still enjoy it, but time will tell.  I'm getting a new neck for my guitar today, so we'll see if it's still great after the neck change. 

Strangeman86

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »
Yeah, back to the drawing board.   :madness:  I put the new neck on (which plays exactly like I was hoping it would) and the pickup sounds like hot garbage lol. 

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 03:43:58 AM »
Well, yes, necks do affect the tone a lot.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Strangeman86

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 07:30:38 AM »
And I get that.  I was just hoping it wouldn't affect it nearly as much as it did.  But that's biscuit we risk.