Pickup Grounding issues

• 6 Replies

Offline eddie42503

• View Profile
Pickup Grounding issues
« on: January 02, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »
Hello I'm left handed and since fender does not make a lefty Nashville tele I've had one setup from my standard telecaster. I bought the twang king set with a strat true velvet middle pickup. My control plate was bought from Sigular music, a 7 way fully loader put together by them. All sounds sweet with these new pickups but I'm getting a bad grounding hum. I can put my han on the bridge, control plate and the loud hum stops . I know there will be some typical AC hum but this is more than what I expected. I've owned strata that give off some grounding hum but not this bad. I use shielding tape on inside the cavity and pickgaurd. Is there anything I can do myself instead of taking it back to my tech which lives on another state. He is the one that assembles the tele Nashville. All pickups has some kind of grounding noise. Thanks for the help

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Pickup Grounding issues
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 02:46:06 PM »
Did the tech you mention actually do the wiring?  If so, have you spoken to him about your experience!
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline eddie42503

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »
Yes he is the same tech and has changed pickups in  my other teles with just bridge & neck pickup and was fine. Said this was typical when using the 5 way with the push/pull tone control. unfortunately I'm legally blind and cannot see if needed   extra wiring & he live in another state to get to. Been playing since 1977 and not really had this much ground issues. Thanks!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Eddie.

Unless you're comfortable rewiring the guitar yourself I'd recommend bringing it to a tech or a guitar shop that can handle basic wiring jobs that's a bit closer to you.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline eddie42503

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
Thanks buddroyce for your comment. The problem is I live in a extremely small town which noone works on guitars and the closest guitar shop is around 2 hours away. I was just concerned if theres something he did not do right on the wiring. I did ask him about grounding and he said the bridge is the only one needs to be grounded. I don't mean to bother anyone here and wished I had better details, just purchased the fender tele a few months ago and got the Dimarzio's for Christmas. After all these years of owning many guitars, I assumed it wasn't normal with this much hum/buzz. Sorry for better detailed description

marcwormjim

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:25:03 AM »
Sorry to say, Eddie, that this is a common grounding problem that’s symptomatic of a number of causes (eg. a single cold solder joint or short among a dozen that all appear fine).

I myself am helpless without my coke bottle-glasses and magnifier; so I feel bad asserting that a visual inspection is step 1. The most compromised, low-tech attempt I can suggest is to use a square of electrical tape to make sure the grounding points on the bottom of the pots are pressed into making sufficient contact, but even that won’t necessarily overcome a cold solder joint.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:06:00 AM »
Yeah, it’s pretty much any one of a few things. And will take it being poked and prodded and so on.

If you use the tech regularly, it shouldn’t be a big deal...outside of an inconvenience.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram