DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

Pickup used on Ibanez JEM middle position?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Angelectrico25:
Marcwormjim your comment does help me, at the end I just want a single coil pickup that matches well sonically and in levels, with the PAF Pro, obviosly I don't want a single coil that can sound less louder when I switch to it, I just don't know what specific models would be good

marcwormjim:
I’m afraid personal experimentation is necessary. The compromise is that, the hotter the singlecoil you use to balance with the humbuckers, the less like a singlecoil it will sound like on its own. The strategy many use is to find a singlecoil that matches the DC resistance of the split humbucker coil they’re putting it in parallel with (within 1.5k or so), but this typically results in split sounds that are half the output of the humbucker switch positions.

I have three HSH guitars in which the middle pickups range from an FS-1 to an ISCV2 to a Seymour Duncan SSL4. None are “best”, so much as they’re each a compromise I arrived at.

Angelectrico25:
Thanks for the help, I'm thinking: Fred bridge, PAF Pro neck, and Area 61 middle. Could that be a good set?

greenlion:
I have had that set recently in an Ibanez RG. I liked it a lot, but ultimately changed the neck to a PAF Joe simply because I had a PAF Pro in another guitar. I think I like the Joe SLIGHTLY better overall with the Fred, but it is rounder, and does not have as much bite as the treble on the Paf Pro, which I miss sometimes.

Angelectrico25:
Thanks greenlion for the help, but my main concern is the single coil in the middle, so the Área 61 works great for you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version