Dimarzio Illuminator Bridge Alternative

• 5 Replies

Offline mflemmer2

• View Profile
Dimarzio Illuminator Bridge Alternative
« on: December 09, 2019, 08:38:45 PM »
I've had the Illuminator set in my PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 for a few years now. Good for the most part, but want to try a different bridge pup. The main thing I don't like: the notched mids, cocked wah, upper mid spike, vocal "aww" sound, however you want to describe it, but you get the idea. Many Dimarzio pickups have this, as does the Seymour Duncan JB. Something that de-emphasizes that kind of thing, with a bit sweeter cleans, but still good with higher gain. Think Dream Theater level gain, and similar musical endeavors (at most), but also good for classic rock and hair metal. Still fairly open and detailed for chords, with good note separation. NOT dark and overly midrangey, but still possessing good crunch. Clear highs that are open, without being spikey. Finally, something that splits well, without a huge volume drop (some drop is to be expected).

I strongly considered the Seymour Duncan Pegasus before getting the Illuminator (I plan on keeping the neck pup, happy with it). I have Wolfetones in my Les Paul (MK II bridge, Dr. Vintage neck), and couldn't be happier, with the pickups or Wolfe. I consider him a friend, and he suggested his Timbre Wolf. I know how he works with his customers to make them happy, so no worries there, but would still like some other opinions. For what I've described, has anyone tried the Timbre Wolf or Pegasus, and what are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? I will confess that I hope to get something from Wolfe that fits the bill. Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays.

Strangeman86

Re: Dimarzio Illuminator Bridge Alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 10:12:21 PM »
In my experience with the Pegasus, it certainly doesn't have the vocal quality that you wish to avoid.  It's also rather warm but was never muddy to my ears.  I've seen some folks call the Pegasus 'dull' or 'sterile', but I think it just enjoys more spirited playing.  I can't speak for the split sounds though as I never use them.  I have no experience with the wolfetone stuff, but may I suggest the DiMarzio Transition (it doesn't have the vocal quality to my ears and is present and articulate without being harsh) and also the Monotone PW Hornet (criminally ignored and wonderfully musical/versatile).  Happy hunting!

Offline mflemmer2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »
Thanks for the info. I was actually considering the Transition, forgot to mention that. Wasn't sure how tight the lows stay with higher gain. Is the Transition more open/brighter/less warm than the Pegasus? Decent cleans?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:57:40 AM by mflemmer2 »

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »
The transition is very much more open than the Pegasus is.  It's surprisingly airy, is fantastic for cleans and certainly has what I would call tight and punchy lows.  The Pegasus is decent with cleans as well, but if you want a more 'open' quality in your sound then the transition should be more your speed

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
I've had the Illuminator set in my PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 for a few years now. Good for the most part, but want to try a different bridge pup. The main thing I don't like: the notched mids, cocked wah, upper mid spike, vocal "aww" sound, however you want to describe it, but you get the idea. Many Dimarzio pickups have this, as does the Seymour Duncan JB. Something that de-emphasizes that kind of thing, with a bit sweeter cleans, but still good with higher gain. Think Dream Theater level gain, and similar musical endeavors (at most), but also good for classic rock and hair metal. Still fairly open and detailed for chords, with good note separation. NOT dark and overly midrangey, but still possessing good crunch. Clear highs that are open, without being spikey. Finally, something that splits well, without a huge volume drop (some drop is to be expected).

I strongly considered the Seymour Duncan Pegasus before getting the Illuminator (I plan on keeping the neck pup, happy with it). I have Wolfetones in my Les Paul (MK II bridge, Dr. Vintage neck), and couldn't be happier, with the pickups or Wolfe. I consider him a friend, and he suggested his Timbre Wolf. I know how he works with his customers to make them happy, so no worries there, but would still like some other opinions. For what I've described, has anyone tried the Timbre Wolf or Pegasus, and what are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? I will confess that I hope to get something from Wolfe that fits the bill. Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays.

A few options there, based on what you’re laying out.

One is to try the Sonic Ecstasy, which is a slightly more polite Illuminator. Another is to look at your cab/speakers. Another is to tweak the amp EQ or to add an EQ to your pedal board or your rack.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline mflemmer2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 01:53:27 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Wolfe has a barely used Timbre Wolf, with a cover, and zebra coils underneath (which is what I wanted anyway). He's going to remove the cover, clean it up, and sell it to me at a substantial discount, so I can't pass that up. If it doesn't work out for me, I may try the Transition bridge, or from someone else's suggestion, a Seymour Duncan Custom 5, which seems very close to the Timbre Wolf on paper. A5 magnets in both, just over 14K on both, slightly scooped mids (which should remove the notched wah issue). I'll post any update once I replace my current pickup. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!