DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

Duncan Custom 5 but with more mids?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jazzfromhell:
Ok, thanks guys. Will experiment will magnets.

corypheus:
Swapping magnets is probably the easiest and cheapest mod you can do.

Also, one cheap possibility is sourcing Gibby 498T, people seem to hate on that one, but it's actually very closely voiced to the Custom line of the Duncan, in fact it's in between C5 and regular Custom, but it's closer to C5, except it's not as clean/precise and it has more mids to my ears. If you look hard enough, you can find one for a decent money - more then a magnet, sure, but still a steal for a Gibby pickup. And if you like Custom, chances are you'll like 498T as well.

Used to be a time when one could find these for 30 bucks, back when Gibby had putting them in almost every guitar they were selling...

123RnR:
Put a ceramic magnet and turn it into the Duncan Custom SH-5. If not, ditch it and go with a SUPER DISTORTION.
And yes! Both of them are my favorite bridge pickups with 59' being my fav choice for the neck.

Ascension:
Have the same issue with the Custom 5. It's a huge sounding chewie pickup for rhythm but flat gets lost in the mix for melodic stuff and solos due to the scooped mids.  The Gravity Storm bridge has that same type big overall organic tone but also cuts well and the mids are a lot more present.
 On the mag swaps the A2 Custom Custom is nice and has a singing mid , the Ceramic Custom has real heat and is aggressive but my favorite mag in a Custom is the A8.  Tight and aggressive but still has a nice smooth singing tone.   My absolute favorite Custom Variant though is the 59/ Custom Hybrid. Feels a LOT hotter than the specs show it should harmonics are down right explosive and talking about super versatile. Have 3 and running in my old KOA Carvin DC 127 with a sentient neck I have gone from solid Country Solo tone to metal without missing a beat in a set. 
 The Hybrid came from us Frankensteiners over at the Duncan forum.  Couple guys tried putting one coil from a 59 together with one coil from the Custom and then running an A5 mag.  It became popular enough on the forum that folk started ordering them from the Custom shop and the rest is history.
This is pretty dead on the hybrid in my real world experience with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK9IVy43dqY

darkbluemurder:
I have the Custom 5 in three different guitars (two of them being teles) and don't hear a midscoop but there is nothing wrong with wanting more mids. I agree a magnet swap is cheap and may get there.

The Custom 5 in fact is the pickup I always wanted in the 80s but that did not exist.

Cheers Stephan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version