Author Topic: Humbucking Esquire - Tone knob not working  (Read 265 times)

Offline pakeha

• View Profile
Humbucking Esquire - Tone knob not working
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:05:37 pm »
Hi all,

I just completed my first ever build-from-parts (woo!). It's not much but it is mine.

Anyway, it is a Fender Esquire body, with a single pickup. I used the DiMarzio DP384.

I followed this wiring diagram:

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/1hum1vol1tone3waytelsw_dualsndsplit.pdf

I used two 250k pots (CTS 450G series). I used a  .022uf 400v Axial Film Guitar Tone Capacitor on the tone pot, as per the diagram.

Anywhere - here's my issue. The tone pot doesn't work at all.  What I mean is, it has no effect. Not even the slightest. The volume pot works fine. 

I was tinkering around with the setup and under certain configurations I could get the Tone pot to work, but then the volume wouldn't work, etc.

I have reset everything to the configuration in the diagram. It sounds great. Volume is great and functional. But tone pot does nothing.

Any ideas?

Offline pakeha

• View Profile
Re: Humbucking Esquire - Tone knob not working
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 11:19:22 pm »
I did some research on this and the fault was in the obvious place. An internal break in the wire between the volume and tone pot (on the input side of the volume pot). Fixed! Sounds great!