Neck humbucker for clean tones, recommendations please

• 2 Replies

Neck humbucker for clean tones, recommendations please
« on: December 20, 2018, 01:18:11 AM »
I am not settled yet on what the bridge pickup will be, but so far it seems like it will be a medium output A5 humbucker like a PAF Pro, for example.

The candidate for the neck humbucker needs to be able to do super clean tones (i.e. no grit, no breakup), and produce a clean sound with some quack, when its inner coil is combined with a split coil from the bridge.

The guitar is a Les Paul style Ibanez.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:39:57 AM by TheBeautifullyDepressed »

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
Re: Neck humbucker for clean tones, recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »
Look at transition neck, specifically flipped like Steve uses it, really woody acoustic sounds out of it, I like it for cleans better then even the 36th anny. Alternatively, Paf Joe will do that as well, it's imo underrated DiMarzio. As a third option, already mentioned 36th anniversary on the neck.

As for the medium output bridge, Paf PRO is good but I always felt Norton is better. Give it a go, it has a good bottom end, melodic mids and warm (but not muddy) highs with a slight hint of grit (character) to the sound. I felt it was the closest to a typical Les Paul pickup a Gibson would put in, but cleaner smoother and nicer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:24:45 AM by corypheus »

Re: Neck humbucker for clean tones, recommendations please
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »
Look at transition neck, specifically flipped like Steve uses it, really woody acoustic sounds out of it, I like it for cleans better then even the 36th anny. Alternatively, Paf Joe will do that as well, it's imo underrated DiMarzio. As a third option, already mentioned 36th anniversary on the neck.

As for the medium output bridge, Paf PRO is good but I always felt Norton is better. Give it a go, it has a good bottom end, melodic mids and warm (but not muddy) highs with a slight hint of grit (character) to the sound. I felt it was the closest to a typical Les Paul pickup a Gibson would put in, but cleaner smoother and nicer.

Cool - thanks