DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

DP155 history

(1/3) > >>

TARTANBLUESBOY:
Hi newbie here.  I am trying to find some advice on the Dimarzio DP155 pickup.  I have two - one is brand new, 17k ohms and just fitted to replace an older DP155 which only had 8.5k ohms across both coils. 

Both are clearly stamped with DP155 and Dimarzio on the baseplate. 

I was wondering if Dimarzio revamped the pickup at some point, nearly doubling its resistance ?

Many thanks

The Tartan Blues Warrior

marcwormjim:
I couldn’t dig up any model other than the Tone Zone being associated with that model number. Are you certain you’re not getting half the Ω reading due to a short or the coils being in parallel?

buddroyce:
How old is the older one?

Also, do the pickups look any different from each other? I get this feeling you have a short in one of the coils.

darkbluemurder:
Did you try the 8.5k pickup in a guitar, and if so, did you get a lot of hum? If the answer is yes, then the pickup is a Tone Zone with one coil shorted.

Cheers Stephan

TARTANBLUESBOY:
Thanks.

I too thought it was a coil short in the older pickup.  It's wired for coil tap (4 wires) and each coil measures about 4.3k.  I'm not sure how old it is.  The adjustable screws on the top of the pickup coil are far broader than I have seen on any pickup.

And yes the 8.5k pickup was in a guitar, but no real hum.  Just very toppy in the bridge position.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version