Music Man St Vincent mini-humbuckers

• 3 Replies

chacheu

Music Man St Vincent mini-humbuckers
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
Bought a Music Man St Vincent signature guitar with three Dimarzio “custom” mini-humbuckers.  This is the first and only guitar I’ve owned with mini-hums.  After doing some research, it seems there are two types of mini-hums.  One built like a miniature PAF with adjustable pole pieces, and the Firebird type with a no pole pieces visible through the cover.  The St Vincent pickups have the Firebird cover; however, if you look at Dimarzio’s website they show a minihimbucker with a Firebird cover but describe it as a PAF type sound.  I’m confused.  Does anyone know what style of pickup is in the St Vincent model. 

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Music Man St Vincent mini-humbuckers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 01:46:00 AM »
The pole pieces are just part of the same design. If you look at the DiMarzio website under MINI when you look up pickups, you'll find the DP240-DP243 models. The first two have no poles showing the latter have one set of screw poles poking through the cover like a humbucker. They're the same size and you can retrofit any of those in your guitar.

The ones in your guitar are likely custom wound versions of the DP240 and DP241.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 04:45:16 AM »
Congratulations if these are the DP 240 in the neck and middle position. These are great pickups.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:49:08 AM »
Meanwhile I picked up a set of these pickups. Neck and middle are the DP-168, bridge is probably the same as DP-198, even though it has a different model code on it (no DP-XXX). At least it matches it spec-wise.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:19:18 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b