Evo / Evo 2 and EvoN in Les Paul?

• 7 Replies

Offline alleykat

• View Profile
Evo / Evo 2 and EvoN in Les Paul?
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:30:29 AM »
Hello fellow DiMarzio fans!

I'm a player of a guitar for few years now, and I've decided to upgrade the pickups on my LP Special. It has stock gibson pickups, of which bridge I actually like but neck is really muddy. I'd want to change them into something else. I've tried Evo Neck in a basswood RG and absolutely loved it, however I never really tried Evo or Evo 2 bridge at all. How do they sound in mahogany? I know they were originally designed for basswood which is the reason why I wanted to ask before I buy them just to find out they sound bad, or something.

I usually play alternative rock, some old school metal, power/speed metal, and looking for a aggressive cutting percussive sound on the rhythm and sustainy singing melodic lead/shred tone.

Also, as I am a girl guitar player and love the color purple, where can I order whichever set I pick in color purple, or DiMarzio doesn't allow that?

Offline alleykat

• View Profile
Re: Evo / Evo 2 and EvoN in Les Paul?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:36:25 AM »
Also, is there a band that uses Evolutions in similar guitars? So there's some reference point to listen to the sound. Thank you!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Both the Evo and Evo2 would work fine in a mahogany bodied guitar. I've had them in some mahogany bodied Ibanez J-Customs before and they sounded fine. I'd go with the Evo2 or the Gravity Storm myself but that's me.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline alleykat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:24 AM »
Okay  so in between the two you mentioned, which one is more crunchy and percussive? I tried a dp100 before and it was simply too thick to be crunchy enough.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
Between the two, I'd go with the Gravity storm if you're looking for something more crunchy and percussive. The Evo2 can do it, but I like the Gravity Storm better. My deciding factor between the two pickups as they're very similar comes down to whether or not I plan on playing more lead or rhythm on that particular guitar. More lead stuff I'd go with the Evo2 since it can cut through the mix easier. More rhythm, Gravity Storm. In a band setting, where I havea singer I'd go with the Gravity Storm since I'd be playing rhythm 90+% of the time.

I forgot to mention but you can totally get it in purple. Although I personally love the black and purple mixed bobbins, which you can get but it would have to be a special order. Almost any dealer can do it or you can just order it directly from DiMarzio.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline alleykat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 01:14:27 AM »
Thank you, I ordered a colored set from ebay!

I have another question not sure should I made a new thread... Ibanez RGR370DX it has stock pickups, looking for a new bridge and neck as I'm not using single much and looking for a as similar as possible sound to a LP, so thick big bass but with that kind of aggression up top, what DiMarzio combination for that? 36 th anniversary seems it's made for that but it's low output I'm looking for something higher if possible.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
Really depends. There are a lot of options but it sounds like you're looking for something more in the medium output range so maybe the Air Norton + Norton combo would do you well or maybe the Transition set.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline alleykat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 04:24:36 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!