Hot Area T Sound for Strat!

• 4 Replies

Offline bubs_42

• View Profile
Hot Area T Sound for Strat!
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
I can look at the numbers and graphs all I want, but I need a recommendation for a strat bridge dimarzio that will get me close to the sound of the Hot Area T. My first option was just to cut a hole and put a hot t in a Strat but I don't want to do that unless I have to.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Hot Area T Sound for Strat!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 11:54:46 PM »
The closest I can think of is probably a Chopper which would be kind of like a Area Hot T+
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline bubs_42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:17:32 AM »
I was afraid you would say that. I'd try it again, but I haven't been happy when i've tried it in  telecasters before. I haven't been real happy with rail pickups in general.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:32:15 AM »
I can give you a comparison between the Chopper T and the Virtual Hot T (the predecessor to the Area Hot T) as a starting point as I have both. The Virtual Hot T is the overwound tele bridge pickup whereas the Chopper T has a bit more PAF DNA in it. However, you still have the undeniable tele tone with both pickups in a tele - that tele bridge is such a big factor in the overall tone and cannot be easily replicated in a strat with a trem/vib system. A hardtail strat would come closer.

I have two strats, one with a Chopper and one with a Virtual Solo in the bridge, each with an Area 58 in the middle and an Area 67 in the neck. Neither of the bridge pickups sounds like a tele - the VS is the overwound strat pickup and the Chopper is what I described above. If you have been dissatisfied with the Chopper T in a tele I would stay away from the Chopper and consider the Virtual Solo or Injector bridge instead (no personal experience with the latter, though).

I would save myself the effort to cut the strat for the Area Hot T as it still will not sound like a tele when fitted into a strat.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline bubs_42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:19:00 AM »
Thanks, i've been looking for a 62 Reissue Hardtail Strat. I have two older MIJ Tele's and I love the necks. I struggle with Strats, but I know the hardtail is where its at and the Dimarzio Blues are on my list as well. I'm ok with getting it close, its still a strat, but I'm just looking to make that bridge pup a little more usable for my tastes. I appreciated the suggestions.