Washburn N24 pickup suggestions

• 5 Replies

Offline ledvedder

• View Profile
Washburn N24 pickup suggestions
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm considering replacing the pickups in my N24. The stock Washburn neck pickup is not very good. Very dull sounding. I might give the L500XL in the bridge a bit more time before deciding if I want to replace it. But I definitely want to replace the neck pickup. This guitar is made of agathis wood.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
Re: Washburn N24 pickup suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
What time are you looking for? A round mound of neck sound, or something more cutting and articulate? The first pickups that came to mind were Humbucker From Hell and he illuminator.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm considering replacing the pickups in my N24. The stock Washburn neck pickup is not very good. Very dull sounding. I might give the L500XL in the bridge a bit more time before deciding if I want to replace it. But I definitely want to replace the neck pickup. This guitar is made of agathis wood.

Any suggestions?

I seem to remember that I put a Manlius T-Top replica in the neck of mine.

A possible fun option to pair with the L500 XL bridge is the Dean DMT Michael Batio HWS neck, which Batio says is modeled after his favorite Lawrence-era OBL neck pickup.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline ledvedder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:48:25 PM »

Any suggestions?

I seem to remember that I put a Manlius T-Top replica in the neck of mine.

A possible fun option to pair with the L500 XL bridge is the Dean DMT Michael Batio HWS neck, which Batio says is modeled after his favorite Lawrence-era OBL neck pickup.
I've never heard of these.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 05:24:02 AM »
The OBL pickups (OBL standing for Original Bill Lawrence) came out in 1986 and were quite popular in Germany. There were the L-500 humbuckers, the L-900 humbuckers and the L-250 single coils with dual blades. All came in R (rhythm), L (lead) and XL variants. I still have an L-500 XL but it's not in any guitar currently.

Be careful with the L-500 if you want to use it in the neck spot as it is deeper than most humbuckers - check the cavity depth.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 05:29:34 AM »
Forgot to add a pickup recommendation :)

I could not get any info on the stock N24 neck pickup. The earlier N4 Nuno signature model had a Seymour Duncan 59 there so the stock pickup may be close to that. What would be brighter in the DiMarzio line - Bluesbucker, definitely. Keep in mind that L-500XL is a loud pickup so you may want to consider something hotter like the Breed neck.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b